Robert C. Allen
Robert (Bob) Carson Allen (born 10 January 1947 in Salem, Massachusetts) is Global Distinguished Professor of Economic History at New York University Abu Dhabi. His research interests are economic history, technological change and public policy and he has written extensively on English agricultural history. He has also studied international competition in the steel industry, the extinction of Bowhead Whales in the Eastern Arctic, and contemporary policies on education.
He obtained his B.A. at Carleton College, Minnesota in 1969 and his Ph.D. at Harvard University in 1975. He has been a professor since 1973, first at Hamilton College then from 1975 in the Department of Economics of the University of British Columbia. Since 2000 he has been associated with the University of Oxford, and from 2002 has been Professor of Economic History and a fellow of Nuffield College.
Bob Allen retired from Oxford University in 2013. He is now Global Distinguished Professor of Economic History at New York University, Abu Dhabi.
- 1992: Enclosure and the Yeoman: The Agricultural Development of the South Midlands, 1450-1850
- 2003: Farm to Factory: A Re-interpretation of the Soviet Industrial Revolution
- 2007: Engel`s Pause: A Pessimist`s Guide to the British Industrial Revolution, Economics Series Working Papers 315, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- 2009: The British Industrial Revolution in Global Perspective
- 2011: Global economic history: a very short introduction
- 2017: The Industrial Revolution: a very short introduction
- Robert Allen
- "Bob Allen - Biography". Nuffield. Retrieved 21 July 2017.
- Allen, R. C. (1992). Enclosure and the yeoman: the agricultural development of the South Midlands 1450-1850. OUP Catalogue.
- Allen, R. C. (1979). International competition in iron and steel, 1850–1913. The Journal of Economic History, 39(4), 911-937.
- Allen, Robert C., and Ian Keay. "The first great whale extinction: the end of the bowhead whale in the eastern Arctic." Explorations in Economic History38.4 (2001): 448-477.
- "CV of Robert C. Allen" (PDF). Retrieved 7 April 2017.
- Allen, Robert (2009). The British Industrial Revolution in Global Perspective. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-0-521-68785-0. (Basic details from rear cover.)
- "Economic History Association Prizes and Awards". eh.net. Retrieved 2017-07-21.
|This article about a British historian or genealogist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|