Robert C. Martin
Robert C. Martin
Martin in March 2015
Robert Cecil Martin
1952 (age 66–67)
|Other names||"Uncle Bob" Martin|
|Occupation||Software engineer, instructor|
|Known for||Agile Manifesto, SOLID principles|
Robert Cecil Martin, colloquially known as "Uncle Bob", is an American software engineer and instructor. He is best known for being one of the authors of the Agile Manifesto and for developing several software design principles. He was also the editor-in-chief of C++ Report magazine and served as the first chairman of the Agile Alliance.
Martin operated the now-defunct company, Object Mentor, which provided instructor-led training courses about extreme programming methodology. He now operates two companies: Uncle Bob Consulting, which provides consulting and training services, and Clean Coders, which provides training videos.
Software principles and advocacy
Most of the principles Martin promotes were invented by him. However, the Liskov substitution principle was devised by Barbara Liskov, while the Open–closed principle was conceived by Bertrand Meyer. Five of the principles have become known collectively as the "SOLID principles", and have received wide attention in the software industry.
- Groupon OnAir (July 26, 2016). The Future of Programming with Uncle Bob Martin. YouTube.
- Heusser, Matthew; Martin, Robert C. (May 10, 2011). Do Professional Programmers Need a Code of Conduct? An Interview with Robert C. "Uncle Bob" Martin. InformIT. Retrieved February 26, 2015.
- Laplante, Philip A. (2014). Requirements engineering for software and systems (2nd ed.). Boca Raton, Florida: CRC Press. p. 168. ISBN 9781466560819. Retrieved February 26, 2015.
- "Authors". The Agile Manifesto. 2001. Retrieved February 26, 2015.
- Martin, Robert C. (2002). Agile Software Development: Principles, Patterns, and Practices. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Education. ISBN 9780135974445.
- Martin, Robert C. (2009). Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall. ISBN 9780132350884.
- Martin, Robert C. (2011). The Clean Coder: A Code of Conduct for Professional Programmers. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall. ISBN 9780137081073.
- Martin, Robert C. (2017). Clean Architecture: A Craftsman's Guide to Software Structure and Design. Prentice Hall. ISBN 9780134494166.