Robert F. Cahalan (November 24, 1946 – ) is Emeritus Scientist at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, and previous Chief of the Laboratory for Climate and Radiation (2003-2013), Project Scientist of the Solar Radiation and Climate Experiment (SORCE), and President of the International Radiation Commission (IRC) of the International Association of Meteorology and Atmospheric Sciences of the International Union of Geodesy and Geophysics during 2008-2012. His interests include climate change, energy balance, remote sensing, and solar radiation.
Cahalan grew up in Miamisburg, Ohio and Cincinnati, Ohio and received his Master's Degree and Doctorate in physics from the University of Illinois in 1969 and 1973. After a two year post-doc at Syracuse University, and a third year as Visiting Professor there, he became a senior post-doc at the National Center for Atmospheric Research after which he joined NASA Goddard Space Flight Center as a civil servant. There he spent 1979–present, retiring from civil service in 2015 to become Emeritus Scientist. In 2015 he also joined the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory as a Senior Scientist.
In 2003-2006 he was the founding chair of the Observations Working Group of the U.S. Global Change Research Program (USGCRP) reported on the status of Earth Observations in an annual report to the US Congress and assisted in coordinating the National Climate Assessment.
Cahalan now lives in Greenbelt, Maryland with his wife Margaret Cahalan, who he married in 1968. He has two sons, Joel and Gabriel. In 2005, Calahan and his wife founded CHEARS, the Chesapeake Education, Arts, and Research Society, a non-profit organisation dedicated to promoting ecological stewardship and artistic expression in the Chesapeake area.
- SORCE UCO/LASP
- International Radiation Commission officers (2008-2012)
- Henneberger, Cindy (28 January 2010). "Bob Cahalan Elected a Fellow Of American Meteorological Society" (PDF). Greenbelt News Review. Retrieved 15 December 2017.
- "Robert Cahalan NASA bio". NASA. Retrieved 15 December 2017.
- NASA Honor Awards, 2006
- AMS Fellows
- Gutro, Rob (3 November 2009). "NASA's Robert F. Cahalan Elected Fellow of the American Meteorological Society". NASA. Retrieved 15 December 2017.
- SORCE - Solar Radiation and Climate Experiment
- Chesapeake Education, Arts, and Research Society
- Robert Cahalan NASA Bio
|This biographical article about a climatologist or meteorologist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|