|Director of the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency|
October 3, 2014
|Preceded by||Letitia Long|
|Deputy Director of the Defense Intelligence Agency|
April 19, 2010 – August 31, 2010
|Preceded by||Letitia Long|
|Succeeded by||David Shedd|
|Alma mater||Cornell University (BA)
Georgetown University (MA)
Robert Cardillo is the sixth Director of the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency and was sworn in October 3, 2014. He was previously selected by Director of National Intelligence James Clapper to serve as the first Deputy Director of National Intelligence for Intelligence Integration in September 2010. Clapper said in a statement that the position would "elevate information sharing and collaboration" between those who collect intelligence and those who analyze it. Cardillo previously served as Deputy Director of the Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA). Prior to that, he served as the Deputy Director for Analysis, DIA, and Director, Analysis and Production, National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (NGA).
Early life, education, and family
Cardillo earned a Bachelor of Arts in Government from Cornell University in 1983 and a Master of Arts in National Security Studies from Georgetown University in 1988. He is an alumnus of the Council for Excellence in Government, the Joint Chiefs of Staff Capstone Course, and Harvard University's Program for Senior Managers in Government. Cardillo is the recipient of the Presidential Rank of Distinguished Executive, Presidential Rank of Meritorious Executive, Vice President's Hammer Award, the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Joint Meritorious Civilian Service Award, DIA's Analyst of the Year, Director DIA's Intelligence Award, and NGA's Distinguished Civilian Service Award.
A runner who has completed five Marine Corps Marathons, Cardillo resides in Alexandria, Virginia.
Cardillo began his career with DIA in 1983 as an imagery analyst. In May 2000 he was selected to the Defense Intelligence Senior Executive Service. Throughout his career, he has served in a variety of leadership positions within the Intelligence Community. In the summer of 2009, Cardillo served as the Acting J2, a first for a civilian, in support of the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
- "Cardillo Takes the Reins as Director of NGA - SpaceNews.com". SpaceNews.com. 2014-10-06. Retrieved 2017-01-17.
- Director-About NGA-National Geo-Spatial Intelligence Agency
- Geospatial Intelligence Forum Interview with Robert Cardillo
- CNN, Director of national intelligence names deputy to boost collaboration, August 20, 2010
- ODNI (August 20, 2010). "Statement by the Director of National Intelligence James R. Clapper to the United States Intelligence Community workforce" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on September 19, 2010.
- DIA (April 1, 2010). "Robert Cardillo Selected to be DIA Deputy Director" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on July 18, 2011.
- GEOINT 2009, Robert T. Cardillo, Deputy Director for Analysis, accessed 2010
- Defense News, Robert Cardillo, U.S. DIA's Deputy Director of Analysis, September 1, 2008[dead link]
- ODNI (January 2011). "Official Biography". Archived from the original on July 21, 2011.
Media related to Robert Cardillo at Wikimedia Commons