Newfoundland and Labrador
|Notable works||Afterimage, Butler's Marsh, Tempting Providence|
Robert Chafe (born 1971) is a Canadian playwright and actor based in St. John's. He is the author of seventeen stage scripts and co-author of another eight. His play Afterimage won the Governor General's Award for English language drama at the 2010 Governor General's Awards. He was previously nominated for the same award at the 2004 Governor General's Awards for his plays Butler's Marsh and Tempting Providence.
His other plays have included Place of First Light (cowritten with Sean Panting), Charismatic Death Scenes, Belly Up, Emptygirl, Oil and Water, Isle des Demons, Lemons, One Foot Wet, Signals, Under Wraps and Vive La Rose. Belly Up was also published in the Breakwater Book of Contemporary Newfoundland Plays: Volume 3. In 2016, he published a book of short stories, Two-Man Tent. He has won numerous Newfoundland and Labrador Arts and Letters Awards, and was named 1998 Emerging Artist of the Year by the Newfoundland and Labrador Arts Council.
Chafe has acted, both on stage and in the 2006 television miniseries Above and Beyond. When Artistic Fraud of Newfoundland was formed in 1995, Chafe was an original cast member and, since 2000, has served as Artistic Director. Some of his first performances with Artistic Fraud were in the shows In Your Dreams, Freud; The Cheat; Jesus Christ Superstar; and Great Big Stick.
- Tempting Providence (2002)
- Isle of Demons (2004)
- Afterimage (2010)
- Fear of Flight (2010)
- Oil and Water (2011)
- Under Wraps (2014)
- The Colony of Unrequited Dreams (2015)
- Between Breaths (2018)
- Two-Man Tent (2016)
- Robert Chafe. Waterfront Views: Contemporary Writing of Atlantic Canada.
- "Creative Team". Artistic Fraud. Retrieved 2018-08-14.
- "Regina's Dianne Warren wins Gov-Gen Award for ‘Cool Water’". The Globe and Mail, November 16, 2010.
- Robert Chafe at the Playwrights Guild of Canada.
- Robert Chafe at doollee.com.
- "The Breakwater Book of Contemporary Newfoundland Plays Volume Three (print) - Playwrights Canada Press". www.playwrightscanada.com. Retrieved 2018-08-14.
- "Playwright Robert Chafe to be awarded honorary doctorate at Memorial University convocation | The Western Star". www.thewesternstar.com. Retrieved 2018-08-14.
- "History". Artistic Fraud. Retrieved 2018-08-14.
- "You're Not From Here: Place and Identity in Newfoundland Drama". Michael Devine, Acadia University.
|This article about a Canadian writer or poet is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|