|Chairman of the Office for Budget Responsibility|
4 October 2010
|Preceded by||Sir Alan Budd|
|Born||24 January 1968|
|Spouse(s)||Sharon White (m.1997)|
|Alma mater||Queens' College, Cambridge
City University, London
Johns Hopkins University
Chote completed his secondary education at St Mary's College in Bitterne Park, Southampton. In 1989 he graduated from Queens' College, Cambridge (where he was Chair of Cambridge Student Liberal Democrats), and then studied at City University, London, and at the School of Advanced International Studies at Johns Hopkins University in the United States.
Chote began his career as a reporter and columnist at The Independent, and was named Young Financial Journalist of the Year in 1993 when working for the Independent on Sunday by the Wincott Foundation. He then moved to the Financial Times to become Economics Editor in 1995.
From 1999 he served as an adviser to the senior management of the International Monetary Fund in Washington DC, where he worked under Stanley Fischer and Anne Krueger. Chote was appointed director of the Institute for Fiscal Studies in October 2002. He has also served as a member of the Statistics Advisory Committee of the Office for National Statistics.
In September 2010, he was appointed as chairman of the Office of Budget Responsibility, succeeding Sir Alan Budd. This appointment was subject to Parliamentary approval which was received. He started as Chairman on 4 October 2010.
Since 1997 Robert Chote has been married to Sharon White, until October 2013 Director-General for public spending at HM Treasury now Second Permanent Secretary responsible for the Treasury’s finance ministry functions (having previously worked at the UK Department for International Development, the World Bank and the Prime Minister's Policy Unit). On 16 December 2014 it was announced that Sharon White was taking over from Ed Richards as the Chief Executive of the UK communications regulator Ofcom from 2015.
- "Today's Stock Market News and Analysis". Nasdaq.com. Retrieved 2015-11-08.
- "Robert Chote CV". UK Parliament. Oct 2010. Retrieved 24 Jan 2014.
- "Robert Chote to head Office for Budget Responsibility". BBC News. 2010-09-09.
- "St Mary's College - Southampton Private Day School". Stmaryscollege.co.uk. 2015-10-20. Retrieved 2015-11-08.
- "Robert Chote". Institute for Fiscal Studies. Retrieved 2009-09-23.
- Aldrick, Philip (2010-09-17). "Robert Chote tells MPs: open OBR to all parties". The Daily Telegraph (London).
- McElwee, M (2000) The Great and the Good? The rise of the new class, p, 55. London: Centre for Policy Studies.
- "We’ve never seen public finances get so bad in such a short time". London Evening Standard. Retrieved 2010-06-22.
- "Five Talents UK Office". Five Talents International. Retrieved 2010-06-22.[dead link]
- Chris Giles, John Aglionby (16 December 2014). "Financial Times". Financial Times. Retrieved 16 December 2014.