Robert Clotworthy in 2010
|Born||Robert Bruce Clotworthy
October 24, 1955
Los Angeles, California, USA
|Occupation||Actor, voice actor|
A short voice sample from Robert Clotworthy.
|Problems playing this file? See media help.|
Robert Bruce Clotworthy (born October 24, 1955) is an American actor and voice actor. Clotworthy is best known as narrator for History Channel's series Ancient Aliens and his role as the voice of Jim Raynor in the StarCraft video game series. He has worked in over 100 feature films, television programs, and video games.
Clotworthy's career as a voice actor began when he was fifteen: "My father was a producer of radio commercials and from an early age I would accompany him to recording sessions. I met some of the finest voice talent (Jerry Stiller, Anne Meara, Mel Blanc, June Foray etc.) and they inspired me."
Role as Jim Raynor
Clotworthy stars as the voice of Jim Raynor in the StarCraft series of real-time strategy video games. Clotworthy first appeared as Raynor in StarCraft, in which Raynor was a major character heavily involved in the game's storyline. He reprised his role in the expansion StarCraft: Brood War. A reader's poll for GameSpot voted Raynor one of video gaming's top ten heroes, with GameSpot giving specific praise to the quality of Clotworthy's voice acting.
Twelve years after the release of StarCraft, Clotworthy reprised his role as Raynor in StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty. The storyline of Wings of Liberty focuses primarily on the Terrans and Raynor in particular, with Raynor taking the role of main character. A review of Wings of Liberty on ITP.net stated that Raynor was "voiced to perfection" by Clotworthy and he was selected as the winner of "GotY Awards 2010 – Best Voice Acting" by reactiontime.co.uk. Clotworthy returned to the role with the expansions StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm and StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void, as well as Blizzard Entertainment's multiplayer online battle arena Heroes of the Storm.
Clotworthy has worked in over 100 feature films and television programs. He appeared as "Forensic Technician" in four episodes of the 1980s U.S. TV series Hunter. Clotworthy was the narrator on the Emmy nominated documentaries Empire of Dreams: The Making of the Star Wars Trilogy and Star Wars: The Legacy Revealed. Clotworthy even worked on The Lego Movie Videogame. Clotworthy also narrated Indiana Jones and the Ultimate Quest and Batman Unmasked: The Psychology of the Dark Knight. Clotworthy is also known for voicing the character Marshall Law in both Tekken 5 and its expansion, Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection. He has guest starred on The Big Bang Theory, Two and a Half Men and on China, IL. In 2014, Clotworthy voiced the Espheni (referred to as "The Monk") in the TNT series Falling Skies, and made an on-screen appearance in American Sniper as a Veteran Affairs doctor who consults with Chris Kyle.
- Medievaldragon. "Robert Clotworthy confirms he returns as Jim Raynor in StarCraft II". IncGamers. Retrieved 2010-09-07.
- "Interview with Robert Clotworthy". jitZul.com. Retrieved 2010-09-07.
- Medievaldragon (2007-06-06). "Starcraft - Robert Clotworthy / Jim Raynor Interview". Blizzplanet. Retrieved 7 September 2010.
- Cheung, James. "Number 10: Jim Raynor". TenSpot: Reader's Choice – Best Heroes. GameSpot. Retrieved 2010-09-09.
- Saundalkar, Jason. "Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty - Games - Reviews". ITP.net. Retrieved 2010-09-09.
- Marsden, Joe. "GotY Awards 2010 – Best Voice Acting". reactiontime.co.uk. Retrieved 2011-04-01.
- "Robert Clotworthy Announced Voice Recording for the StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void Expansion Has Begun". BlizzPlanet. 12 August 2013. Retrieved 12 August 2013.
- Abbott, Jon. Stephen J. Cannell Television Productions: A History of All Series and Pilots. ISBN 0-7864-4173-9.
- Clotworthy, Robert. "Biography of Robert Clotworthy". Retrieved 2010-09-09.