Robert Colin Marshall
Robert Colin Marshall
|20th Mayor of Calgary|
January 2, 1919 – January 3, 1921
|Preceded by||Michael Copps Costello|
|Succeeded by||Samuel Hunter Adams|
|Member of the Legislative Assembly of Alberta|
July 18, 1921 – June 27, 1926
|Born||May 19, 1883|
Ingersoll, Ontario, Canada
|Died||February 20, 1962 (aged 78)|
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA
|Spouse(s)||Annie Mae Batchelor (d.1915) |
Daisy Mary MacGregor
Robert Colin Marshall (May 19, 1883 – February 20, 1962) was an Alberta politician. Marshall served as the 20th Mayor of Calgary, Alberta from 1919 to 1921, and as a Member of the Legislative Assembly of Alberta.
Marshall was born in Ingersoll, Ontario in 1883 to parents Peter Marshall and Katherine Allen. He arrived in Calgary in 1906 and started working for the Crown Paving Company Limited. Marshall was associated with this company until its sale in 1961.
In 1907, he married Annie Mae Batchelor, who died in 1915. Together they had one child, Margaret Alexandra, born in 1909. On July 19, 1919, in his first year as mayor he married Daisy Mary MacGregor, the City Hall reporter for the Calgary Herald. Together they had two children, Donald and Joan.
Marshall would spend three years serving as an Alderman on Calgary City Council. Marshall would serve as Mayor of Calgary for two years, first contesting the 1918 Calgary municipal election defeating opponent and incumbent Mayor Michael Copps Costello with 3,428 votes, a slim margin of victory of 194. Marshall would contest the 1919 election, easily defeating opponent Issac G. Ruttle.
He then moved on to provincial politics, becoming a Liberal MLA just as the Liberals lost power to the United Farmers of Alberta. He ran as a Liberal in the 1921 Alberta general election. He won a provincial seat to sit as MLA for Calgary electoral district. His support dropped significantly in the 1926 Alberta general election and he was not re-elected.
- "Past Mayors and Aldermen". City of Calgary. Retrieved 2020-02-28. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Leslie 1975, p. 145.
- "MARSHALL WINS OVER COSTELLO BY 194 MAJORITY". The Calgary Daily Herald (4905). December 10, 1918. p. 1. Retrieved March 19, 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Marshall is elected by bumper majority; money bylaws carry". The Calgary Daily Herald (3710). December 11, 1919. p. 1. Retrieved March 16, 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Leslie 1975, p. 146.
- Leslie, Jean (1975). "Robert Colin Marshall, Mayor 1919-1920". Past and Present: People, Places and Events in Calgary. Calgary, Alberta: Century Calgary Publications.
- Robert Colin Marshall – Legislative Assembly of Alberta Member Profile
- Robert Colin Marshall at Find a Grave
|Legislative Assembly of Alberta|
| MLA Calgary
Michael Copps Costello
| Mayor of Calgary
Samuel Hunter Adams