Copeland at a training session in 2008
|Full name||Robert Copeland|
|Date of birth||26 May 1981|
|Original team(s)||Northern Eagles AFC|
|Draft||66th selection, 2001 Rookie Draft|
|Height/Weight||187 cm / 85 kg|
|2001–2008||Brisbane Lions||143 (39)|
1 Playing statistics correct to end of 2008 season.
Robert Copeland (born 26 May 1981) is a former Australian Football League footballer for the Brisbane Lions and current captain of Aspley Hornets in QAFL . He is a dual premiership winner (2001, 2003) and was delisted in 2008.
Copeland was recruited through the 2001 Rookie Draft (QLD Zone) from the Northern Eagles and was elevated to the Senior list on 10 May that year after Michael Voss was placed on the long-term injury list. He made his debut for the Brisbane Lions in Round 9, 2001 against Adelaide. Copeland was regularly employed in a tagging role. Copeland's tagging job on Collingwood Captain, Nathan Buckley in the 2003 AFL Grand Final was considered a decisive influence in the Brisbane Lions win.
Copeland played 143 games for the Lions, usually as an automatic selection. However in September 2008 Copeland was delisted due to recurrent injuries and inconsistent performance. After being overlooked in the 2008 draft Copeland was chosen to be the inaugural captain for new first division QAFL club Aspley Hornets.
|Totals||Averages (per game)|
- Brisbane Lions Rising Star Nomination 2001
- Brisbane Lions Best First Year Player 2001
- Brisbane Lions Premiership Player 2001
- Brisbane Lions Premiership Player 2003
- "Brisbane Lions discard premiership player Copeland". AFL Website. 2008-09-19. Retrieved 2008-09-19.
- AFL Queensland: Copeland to inspire new club Aspley
- Couriermail.com: Brisbane Lions stars Jamie Charman, Daniel Merrett to play practice match for Aspley
- Robert Copeland's player profile at AFL Tables
- Robert Copeland's profile on the official website of the Brisbane Lions
- Robert Copeland's statistics from AFL Tables
|This Australian rules football biography of a person born in the 1980s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|