|11th Secretary of the Attorney-General's Department|
24 January 2000 – 31 August 2008
|Preceded by||Tony Blunn|
|Succeeded by||Roger Wilkins|
Robert John Cornall
|Alma mater||University of Melbourne|
Robert John Cornall Attorney-General's Department between 2000 and 2008.is a retired Australian senior public servant, he was head of the
Public service career
Cornall was appointed Secretary of the Commonwealth Attorney-General's Department in 2000. In the wake of the September 11 terrorist attacks on the United States, the Attorney-General's Department was responsible for implementing the Howard Government's national security agenda. The department grew rapidly in numbers under Cornall's leadership, from 550 staff to over 1500.
Cornall retired from the Attorney-General's Department in July 2008.
Public profile and enquiries
- As Secretary of the Attorney-General's Department he commented on the alleged torture of Mamdouh Habib. He stated there was no substance to the allegations; however, the Australian Government later settled with Habib out of court.
- After his retirement Cornall conducted an investigation for the Australian Government into allegations of sexual abuse at Manus Island.
- Review of conflict of interest of members of Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority regarding dumping in the Park.
- In February 2014 he was appointed to conduct 'a review into the circumstances surrounding the Manus Island disturbances, in which an Iranian detainee (Reza Berati) was killed, with the primary focus on management of security at the centre.
In 2006, Cornall was appointed an Officer of the Order of Australia for service to the community through contributions to the development of public policy, particularly counter-terrorism arrangements in a changing global security environment and through providing advice and governance across a diverse range of responsibilities within the civil justice system.
- Cornall 2012, p. 73.
- Curriculum Vitae: Robert Cornall AO, archived from the original on 1 February 2014
- Malone 2006, p. 110.
- Biographical Details - Robert Cornall AO, Attorney-General's Department, December 2006, archived from the original on 2 November 2007
- Howard, John (24 January 2000). "New Secretary of the Attorney-General's Department" (Press release). Archived from the original on 1 February 2014.
- Berkovic, Nicola (8 August 2008). "Howard defender Cornall steps down from top post". The Australian.
- Rudd, Kevin (31 July 2008). "Appointment of Departmental Secretary" (Press release). Archived from the original on 10 November 2013.
- "Mr Robert Cornall AO, Acting President". Australian Law Reform Commission. 31 July 2017. Retrieved 9 August 2017.
- "Dept backs Ruddock's denials of Habib torture claims". Australian Broadcasting Corporation. 14 February 2005. Archived from the original on 28 February 2014.
- Neighbour, Sally (15 January 2011). "Mamdouh Habib's story is backed by evidence". The Australian.
- Farrell, Paul; Laughland, Oliver (1 November 2013). "Sex assaults at Manus Island centre appear likely to go unpunished". The Guardian. Archived from the original on 21 November 2013.
- Hunt, Greg (24 February 2014). "Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority conflict of interest inquiry" (Press release). Archived from the original on 28 February 2014.
- Milman, Oliver (24 February 2014). "Great Barrier Reef authority board members cleared of improper conduct". The Guardian. Archived from the original on 28 February 2014.
- Farrell, Paul (21 February 2014). "Manus Island inquiry will be led by Robert Cornall, says Scott Morrison". The Guardian. Archived from the original on 28 February 2014.
- "Terms of Reference Review into the events of 16-18 February 2014 at the Manus Regional Processing Centre". Canberra: Department Immigration and Border Protection. 27 February 2014. Archived from the original on 28 February 2014.
- Farrell, Paul (27 February 2014). "Consultant investigating Manus Island unrest insists he is independent". The Guardian. Archived from the original on 28 February 2014.
- Cornell, Robert (23 May 2014). "Review into the Events of 16 - 18 February 2014 at the Manus Regional Processing Centre" (PDF-6 MB). Department of Immigration and Border Protection. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
References and further reading
- Cornall, Robert (2012), "Chapter 8: Impressions, observations and lessons from a Canberra outsider", in Wanna, John; Vincent, Sam; Podger, Andrew Stuart (eds.), With the benefit of hindsight: Valedictory reflections from departmental secretaries, 2004–11 (PDF), Canberra, Australia: Australian National University, pp. 73–85, ISBN 9781921862731, archived from the original (PDF) on 5 February 2014
- Malone, Paul (2006), "Chapter 16: Keeping the Customer Satisfied – Robert Cornall, Attorney-General's Department", Australian department heads under Howard : career paths and practice (PDF), Canberra, Australia: The Australian National University, pp. 107–112, ISBN 1-920942-83-1, archived from the original (PDF) on 6 November 2013
| Secretary of the Attorney-General's Department