|Member of the Wisconsin Senate
from the 2nd district
|Preceded by||Don Hanaway|
|Member of the Wisconsin State Assembly
from the 6th district
|Preceded by||Gervase Hephner|
July 31, 1950 |
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Robert L. Cowles (born July 31, 1950) is a Republican member of the Wisconsin Senate, representing the 2nd District since 1987. In August 2011, Cowles faced a recall election, but easily defeated the Democratic challenger, Nancy Nusbaum, sixty percent to forty percent.
Early life and education
Cowles was born in Green Bay, Wisconsin. He graduated from University of Wisconsin–Green Bay in 1975 and did some graduate work there. He was formerly a director of an alternative energy division for a communications construction company, but is now a full-time legislator.
Cowles was elected to the Wisconsin State Assembly in 1982 and re-elected until 1986 when he resigned to run for the state senate. He was first elected to the Wisconsin State Senate in a special election in 1987. He ran unopposed in 2008.
Cowles supported Walker's budget repair bill, including the section that removed collective bargaining.
Cowles was subject to an active recall effort as part of the 2011 Wisconsin protests. On March 2, 2011, the "Committee to Recall Cowles" officially registered with the Wisconsin Government Accountability Board.
On April 28, roughly 26,000 signatures to recall Cowles were filed with the Government Accountability Board. If more than 15,960 are found to be valid, a recall election will ensue.
In late May 2011, the Wisconsin Government Accountability Board verified petitions against Cowles, overruling his challenges.
The recall election was held on August 9, 2011 and Cowles easily defeated the Democratic recall challenger, Nancy Nusbaum, sixty percent to forty percent.
He currently sits on the Joint committee on Audit, the Joint Committee on Finance, and chairs the Committee on Energy, Utilities and Information Technology.
|Wisconsin State Senate District 2 Election 2004|
|Republican||Robert L. Cowles||60,546||89.13%|
|Wisconsin State Senate District 2 Election 2008|
|Republican||Robert L. Cowles||60,507||99.35%|
|Wisconsin State Senate District 2 Recall Election 2011|
|Republican||Robert L. Cowles||27,543||60.42%|
- Barbour, Clay and Mary Spicuzza. Republicans hold off Dems in recalls, win enough seats to keep majority in Senate, Wisconsin State Journal, August 10, 2011.
- "Committee to Recall Cowles". Wisconsin Government Accountability Board. March 9, 2011. Retrieved April 16, 2011.
- Sargent, Greg (2011-04-28). "Wisconsin Dems have the momentum heading into final recall battle - The Plum Line". The Washington Post. Retrieved 2011-06-27.
- "GAB certifies recalls for Cowles, Darling and Harsdorf | Ballotnews". Ballotnews.org. 2011-05-31. Retrieved 2011-06-27.
- "Fall General Election – 11/02/2004; State Senate, District No. 2" (PDF). Wisconsin State Elections Board. December 1, 2004. Retrieved April 16, 2011.
- "Fall General Election – 11/04/2008; State Senate, District No. 2" (PDF). Wisconsin State Elections Board. November 24, 2008. Retrieved April 16, 2011.
- "August 9 recall election results". Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. August 9, 2011. Retrieved August 9, 2011.
- Senator Robert Cowles at the Wisconsin State Legislature
- Robert Cowles constituency site
- Profile at Project Vote Smart
- 2nd Senate District, Senator Cowles in the Wisconsin Blue Book (2005–2006)