Robert de Grimston
|Robert De Grimston|
Robert de Grimston Moor|
Mary Ann Maclean
(m. 1963; div. 1974)
Robert de Grimston (also known as "The Teacher," and Robert Moor) (born August 10, 1935) was a founder of The Process Church of The Final Judgment (popularly referred to as The Process) in the 1960s. He was born in Shanghai, China.
Created in partnership with Mary Ann MacLean ("The Oracle") (born 20 November 1931, Glasgow, Scotland, died 14 November 2005), they met while they were members of the Church of Scientology in London. The Process held that God is made of four separate parts equally worthy of worship -- Jehovah, Christ, Lucifer and Satan --- and that a person must worship all four in succession to gain enlightenment. Their newsletter was in vogue during the era of flower power, and featured articles about the Rolling Stones, Charles Manson and the like.
While de Grimston is remembered as "The Christ of Carnaby St." and as the head of the Process Church, some scholars believe that,"far from being the uncontested leader of The Process, Robert de Grimston was but the mouthpiece of Mary Ann. [Robert was] the (not-so) charismatic facade, behind whom the real leader of The Process [Mary Ann] could act, detached and isolated from the majority of members."
Robert and Mary Ann divorced in 1974, at which point Mary Ann and several original members of the group continued as the Foundation Church of the Millennium, which later became Best Friends Animal Society.
- "The Process Church – WRSP". wrldrels.org. Retrieved 2018-06-26.
- Wylie, Timothy. "The Process Church Timeline" (PDF).
- Kathryn L. Duvall. "The Process". Religious Movements. University of Virginia. Archived from the original on 2006-11-07. Retrieved 2007-09-16.
- Timothy Wyllie (2009). Love Sex Fear Death: The Inside Story of the Process Church of the Final Judgement. Feral House. ISBN 978-1-932595-37-6.
- Giudice, Christian. "'I, Jehovah': Mary Ann de Grimston and The Process Church of the Final Judgment". Female Leaders in New Religious Movements.
- Clarke, Nick (1999-10-20). "'It is dreadful to be an onlooking parent, for the loved child is lost'". The Guardian. Retrieved 2008-08-24.
- Friends find their calling, Lou Kilzer, Rocky Mountain News
- Best Friends and the Process, The Skepticaltheurgist
- Preparing for the Fiery End: Process, Bill Beckett, Harvard Crimson
- A profile of The Process, Gary Lachman
- Writings by Robert deGrimston, founder of The Process Church
- Process Church Of The Final Judgment Information Website Useful site collating information including a downloadable version of most of Robert DeGrimston's speeches and general information on The Process Church Of The Final Judgment.
|This biography of a United Kingdom religious figure is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|