Robert Earl Hughes
|Robert Earl Hughes|
Robert Earl Hughes
June 4, 1926|
Baylis, Illinois, U.S.
July 10, 1958 (aged 32)|
Bremen, Indiana, U.S.
|Cause of death||Uremia|
|Resting place||Benville Cemetery|
|Occupation||Entertainer and Sideshow performer|
|Known for||The heaviest human in the world|
Abraham Guy Hughes|
Georgia Alice Weatharby
Guy B. Hughes (younger brother)|
Donald Hughes (younger brother)
Robert Earl Hughes (June 4, 1926 – July 10, 1958) was an American man who was, during his lifetime, the heaviest human being recorded in the history of the world.
Robert Earl Hughes was born on June 4, 1926 in Baylis, Illinois, the son of Abraham Guy Hughes (1878–1957) and Georgia Alice Weatharby (1906–1947). He had two younger brothers, Guy B. Hughes (1927–2006), and Donald Hughes (1929–2012). At the age of six, Robert weighed about 92 kilograms (203 lb); at twelve, he weighed 148 kilograms (326 lb). His excessive weight was attributed to a malfunctioning pituitary gland. His chest was measured at 3.15 metres (10.3 ft), and he weighed an estimated 485 kilograms (1,069 lb) at his heaviest.
During his adult life, Hughes made guest appearances at carnivals and fairs; plans to appear on the Ed Sullivan television program were announced but never came about. On July 10, 1958, Hughes contracted a case of measles, which soon developed into uremia, resulting in his death in Bremen, Indiana, United States. He was 32 years old. He is buried in Benville Cemetery, Brown County, Illinois.
It is often said he was buried in a piano case. This error stems from a sentence that appeared in successive editions of the Guinness Book of World Records, which read, "He was buried in a coffin the size of a piano case." His headstone notes that he was the world's heaviest man at a confirmed 1,041 pounds (472 kg).
- "Robert Earl Hughes, became heaviest known human... June 4 in History at BrainyHistory.com". Retrieved 11 March 2017.
- "Robert Earl Hughes (1926 - 1958) - Find A Grave Memorial". Retrieved 11 March 2017.
- "World's Heaviest Man: The last chapter of Robert Earl Hughes' remarkable life" - Washington Times Reporter Archived March 4, 2012, at the Wayback Machine.
- Obituary - Bremen Enquirer
- "LIFE" - Google Books
- "1041-Pound Man Flying to New York for TV" - Los Angeles Times
- "It's All in How You Look at It" - Kentucky New Era
- "Casket for World's Largest Man" - The Miami News
- "Against the Groin" - SI Vault
- "Yary, Just Growing Boy, Hopes to Weigh 290 By Next Season" - Los Angeles Times
- "Big heart: remembering Robert Earl Hughes, 1926-1958" - Google Books
- "Incredible!" - Google Books
- Robert Earl Hughes at Find a Grave