|Full name||Robert Thompson Ebersohn|
23 February 1989 |
Bloemfontein, South Africa
|Height||1.80 m (5 ft 11 in)|
|Weight||87 kg (13 st 10 lb)|
|School(s) attended||Grey College, Bloemfontein|
|Relatives||Sias Ebersohn (twin brother)|
|2005–2007||Free State Cheetahs|
|2008–2013||Free State Cheetahs||72||(55)|
|2008–2009||South Africa U20||10||(20)|
* Senior club appearances and points correct as of 9 May 2015.
Robert Thompson Ebersohn (born 23 February 1989 in Bloemfontein, South Africa) is a rugby union and Sevens player from South Africa. He has played for the Springboks Sevens, South Africa Under 20 and made his Super 14 debut for the Toyota Cheetahs in 2010. When participating in the 15-man format of rugby, his preferred position is centre although he has been employed as a fullback on various occasions.
Ebersohn has made over 100 appearances for the Cheetahs in all competitions. However, it was announced that he would leave Bloemfontein at the end of the 2013 Currie Cup Premier Division season and join French side Montpellier for the 2013–14 Top 14 season.
The Ebersohn twins (Robert and Sias) are the sons of Tiaan Ebersohn, a center who played for the Free State and Western Province. The twins were born and raised in Bloemfontein, South Africa and schooled at Grey College. Here they climbed the ranks and eventually presented the Free State schools team at the national Coca Cola Craven Week. Fame came fast as they were chosen to present South Africa at the IRB Junior World Championship. Both players were quickly grabbed into the Free State Cheetahs rugby squad. They played side-by-side from school level to Super Rugby level until Sias joined Australian side the Western Force in 2013 and Robert joined Montpellier a few months later.
Robert Ebersohn was involved in the following squads:
- Free State (U16 Coca-Cola Grant Khomo Week)
- "Robert Ebersohn joining Montpellier". ESPN Scrum. 19 July 2013. Retrieved 29 July 2013.
- http://www.citizen.co.za/citizen/content/en/citizen/local-sport?oid=204766&sn=Detail&pid=146836&Ebersohn-twins-the-stars-in-Cheetahs-campaign- Ebersohn twins the stars in Cheetahs campaign
- http://www.volksblad.com/Suid-Afrika/Tweeling-oortref-rugbypa-se-drome-20110415 Tweeling oortref rugby-pa se drome
- http://www.rugby365.com/tournaments/cc/news/1045540.htm From Craven to Currie, Ebersohn style
- http://www.sarugby.com/2011/07/22/cheetahs-retain-ebersohn-twins/ SARugby.com: Cheetahs Retain Ebersohn Twins
- http://www.ruggaworld.com/2008/05/15/preview-vodacom-cup-final/ Preview: Vodacom Cup Final
- "Cheetahs look to Ebersohn". iAfrica. 15 July 2009. Retrieved 5 August 2009.
- "Cheers and all the best, Robert Ebersohn". BlitzBokke.com. Retrieved 5 August 2009.
- "SA Rugby Player Profile – Robert Ebersohn". South African Rugby Union. Retrieved 2 June 2016.
- "European Challenge Cup final: Harlequins 19-26 Montpellier". BBC Sport. 13 May 2016. Retrieved 16 May 2016.