Rob Edwards (footballer, born 1973)
|Full name||Robert William Edwards|
|Date of birth||1 January 1973|
|Place of birth||Kendal, England|
|Height||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
|Southampton (under-16 coach)|
|1999–2004||Preston North End||169||(4)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 10:37, 13 November 2010 (UTC)
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 12:29, 19 February 2010 (UTC)
Robert William Edwards (born 1 July 1973 in Kendal, Westmorland) is a professional football manager and former player. He played for Football League One side Exeter City before retiring in May 2011, and is a Welsh international, being capped on four occasions. In May 2014, he was appointed the manager of Tranmere Rovers. He was sacked from the post in October 2014.
Edwards, a defender, started his career as a trainee with Carlisle, playing in 56 first team games with the club. On 27 March 1991, Robert completed a £135,000 move to then Division Two side Bristol City.
In over eight seasons at Ashton Gate, Edwards made 266 appearances and earned his first cap for Wales. On 8 August 1999 Edwards moved on a free to then League One side Preston North End, where he played an important role in Preston's title victory, and promotion to the second tier. On 1 July 2004, Edwards moved to League One side Blackpool where he made 69 appearances before being released on a free at the end of the 2005–06 season by manager Simon Grayson. He scored once during his spell at Blackpool, in a 2-1 defeat to Sheffield Wednesday in August 2004.
After playing on trial with his first club Carlisle and also League Two side Rochdale, Edwards was snapped up by Conference National side Exeter City. After signing for the Grecians in 2006, he established himself as a first team regular in the heart of the defence for Exeter City and in December 2007, City manager Paul Tisdale appointed Rob as player-coach at Exeter: coaching the reserves, while still being a member of the first team. In fact, he was the only member of the squad to start in all 46 matches of Exeter's 2007–08 campaign. That season culminated in Edwards scoring the winning goal at Wembley on 18 May 2008 in Exeter's 2008 Conference National play-off Final win over Cambridge United securing the club's return to the Football League.
He retired from professional football in May 2011.
After retiring, Edwards worked as first team coach for Exeter City. On 13 May 2014 Edwards quit as assistant manager of Exeter City. On 27 May 2014, he was appointed as the new manager of Tranmere Rovers. Edwards was sacked from his job as manager on 13 October 2014.
- As of 13 October 2014
|Tranmere Rovers||27 May 2014||13 October 2014||14||2||4||8||14.3|||
- Samuel, Bill (2009). The Complete Wales FC 1876-2008. Soccer Books. p. 105. ISBN 1-86223-176-1.
- Rob Edwards at Post War English & Scottish Football League A–Z Player's Database
- "Blackpool 1-2 Sheff Wed". BBC. 10 August 2004. Retrieved 8 May 2013.
- "Exeter City release 12 squad members". BBC Sport. 23 May 2011. Retrieved 23 May 2011.
- Exeter City F.C. (11 March 2011). "Who's Who At Exeter City Football Club". Retrieved 5 July 2011.
- "Exeter City assistant manager Rob Edwards leaves St James Park". BBC Sport. 2014-05-13. Retrieved 2016-07-07.
- BBC Sport, "Tranmere Rovers appoint Rob Edwards as new manager", 27 May 2014. Retrieved 27 May 2014
- BBC Sport, "Rob Edwards: Tranmere Rovers sack manager after five months", 13 October 2014
- "Managers: Rob Edwards". Soccerbase. Centurycomm. Retrieved 29 March 2017.
- Rob Edwards at Soccerbase