Robert F. Marx
Robert F. Marx (December 8, 1936 – July 4, 2019) was an American pioneer in scuba diving and was best known for his work with shipwrecks and sunken treasure. Although he was considered controversial for his frequent and successful forays into treasure hunting, fellow treasure hunter E. Lee Spence described Marx as the "true father of underwater archaeology".
Marx became a diving specialist in the United States Marine Corps in 1953. He went on to make over 5,000 dives and authored over 800 reports/articles and 59 books on history, archaeology, shipwrecks and exploration.
He was a founding member of the Council on Underwater Archaeology and of the Sea Research Society and served on the Society's Board of Advisors. In 1972 he participated in the creation of the research/professional degree of Doctor of Marine Histories.
Marx wrote extensively about the concept of White Gods. Marx came to the conclusion that White Gods "figure in almost every indigenous culture in the Americas." A review by Jonathan Kirsch in the Los Angeles Times concluded that "Quest" was a good yarn, but Marx tried hard to dress it up as something slightly scandalous. In that sense, "Quest" was the archeological equivalent of Oliver Stone's "JFK"—Marx seeks to prove the existence of "great white gods" by offering us a haphazard collection of oddities, rumors and coincidences, but what's on display here is really nothing more than the passions and obsessions of a born showman."
- They Found Treasure: [interviews] by Robert Forrest Burgess (New York : Dodd, Mead, ©1977) ISBN 0-396-07450-2, OCLC 2797871
- In Quest of the Great White Gods: contact between the Old and New World from the dawn of history by Robert F Marx and Jenifer Marx (New York : Crown, ©1992) ISBN 0-517-58270-8, ISBN 978-0-517-58270-1, OCLC 24065049
- Readings in Physical Anthropology and Archaeology by David E Hunter and Phillip Whitten (New York : Harper & Row, ©1978) ISBN 0-06-043023-0, ISBN 978-0-06-043023-8, OCLC: 4004685
- Spence's Guide to South Carolina : diving, 639 shipwrecks (1520-1813), saltwater sport fishing, recreational shrimping, crabbing, oystering, clamming, saltwater aquarium, 136 campgrounds, 281 boat landings by E. Lee Spence, (Nelson Southern Printing, Sullivan's Island, S.C.: Spence, ©1976) OCLC: 2846435
- Always Another Adventure, by Robert F Marx (Cleveland, World Pub. Co., 1967) OCLC 1355136
- Shipwrecks of the Virgin Islands, 1523-1825 by Robert F Marx; Edward L Towle and the Caribbean Research Institute (St. Thomas, V.I., Caribbean Research Institute, 1969) OCLC: 209714
- The Search for Sunken Treasure: Exploring the world's great shipwrecks by Robert F Marx and Jenifer Marx (Toronto : Key-Porter Books, ©1993) ISBN 1-55013-418-3, ISBN 978-1-55013-418-6, ISBN 1-55013-497-3, ISBN 978-1-55013-497-1, OCLC 28018648
- Treasure Lost at Sea : Diving to the world's great shipwrecks by Robert F Marx and Jenifer Marx (Buffalo, N.Y. : Firefly Books, ©2003) ISBN 1-55297-872-9, ISBN 978-1-55297-872-6, OCLC 54464113
- The Battle of the Spanish Armada 1588 by Robert F Marx (Cleveland, World Pub. Co., ©1965) OCLC 920618
- Still More Adventures by Robert F Marx (Mason/Charter, 1976) ISBN 0-88405-359-8 OCLC 2332224
- Sea Fever by Robert F Marx (Garden City, N.Y., Doubleday, 1972) OCLC 393700
- Port Royal Rediscovered by Robert F Marx (Garden City, N.Y., Doubleday, 1973) ISBN 0-385-08296-7, ISBN 978-0-385-08296-9, OCLC 613717
- The Underwater Dig: an introduction to marine archaeology by Robert F Marx (New York : H.Z. Walck, 1975) ISBN 0-8098-3536-3, OCLC: 1504496
- Shipwrecks of the Western Hemisphere, 1492-1825 by Robert F Marx (New York, World Pub. Co., 1971) OCLC 207459
- The Lure of Sunken Treasure: under the sea with marine archaeologists and treasure hunters by Robert F Marx (New York, McKay, 1973) OCLC 714464
- Into the Deep : the history of man's underwater exploration by Robert F Marx (Van Nostrand Reinhold, ©1978) ISBN 0-442-80386-9, ISBN 978-0-442-80386-5, OCLC: 3844466
- Encyclopedia of Western Atlantic Shipwrecks and Sunken Treasure by Victoria Sandz and Robert F Marx (Jefferson, N.C.: McFarland, ©2001) ISBN 0-7864-1018-3, OCLC 46836931
- The World's Richest Shipwrecks by Robert F Marx and Jenifer Marx (Toronto: Key Porter Books, 2005) ISBN 1-55263-656-9, OCLC 60369569
- Treasures from the Sea: Exploring the world's great shipwrecks by Robert F Marx and Jenifer Marx (Toronto: Key Porter Books, 2003) ISBN 1-55263-207-5, [ OCLC 52039638]
- The treasure fleets of the Spanish Main by Robert F Marx (Cleveland, World Pub. Co., 1968) OCLC 448399
- The Battle of Lepanto, 1571 by Robert F Marx (Cleveland, World Pub. Co., 1966) OCLC 1349558
- They Dared the Deep; a history of diving by Robert F Marx (Cleveland, World Pub. Co., 1967) OCLC 1354152
- Following Columbus; the voyage of the Nina II by Robert F Marx (Cleveland, World Pub. Co., ©1964) OCLC: 1413847
- Buried Treasure of the United States: how and where to locate hidden wealth by Robert F Marx (New York : McKay, ©1978) ISBN 0-679-50795-7, ISBN 978-0-679-50795-6, [ OCLC: 3203427]
- Buried treasures you can find : over 7500 locations in all 50 states by Robert F Marx (Dallas, TX : Ram Books, ©1993)ISBN 0915920824, ISBN 978-0-915920-82-2, OCLC: 29561608
- Shipwrecks in Florida Waters : a billion dollar graveyard by Robert F Marx (Chuluota, Fla.: Mickler House, 1985, ©1979) ISBN 0-913122-51-3, OCLC 13651406
- The History of Underwater Exploration by Robert F Marx (New York : Dover Publications, 1990) ISBN 0-486-26487-4, OCLC 21563447
- In the Wake of Galleons by Robert F Marx (Flagstaff, AZ: Best Pub. Co., ©2001) ISBN 0-941332-95-0, OCLC 49311568
- Clay smoking pipes recovered from the sunken city of Port Royal October 1, 1967 – March 31, 1968 by Robert F Marx; Jamaica National Trust Commission (Kingston, Jamaica National Trust Commission, 1968) OCLC 121031
- "Robert Marx Obituary - Melbourne, FL". Legacy.com. Florida Today. Retrieved 16 July 2019.
- Spence's Guide to South Carolina : diving, 639 shipwrecks (1520-1813), saltwater sport fishing, recreational shrimping, crabbing, oystering, clamming, saltwater aquarium, 136 campgrounds, 281 boat landings by E. Lee Spence, (Nelson Southern Printing, Sullivan's Island, S.C.: Spence, ©1976)
- PlatinumPro 5000 Diver web site Archived 2007-11-11 at the Wayback Machine
- RS Operations LLC web site Archived 2007-01-28 at the Wayback Machine
- Sea Research Society web site
- Robert Marx, In quest of the great white gods: contact between the Old and New World from the dawn of history, Crown, 1992
- Kirsch, Jonathan (January 22, 1992). "BOOK REVIEW : Memoir Masquerades as History in 'Quest of Great White Gods'". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 7 June 2014.
- Seven Seas Search and Salvage, LLC (as Consultant)
- Sea Research Society (non-profit, educational research foundation)
- Find Marx's books & maps in a library with WorldCat
- New York Times Article