Robert Fife (born 1954) is a Canadian political journalist and author who was the Ottawa bureau chief for CTV News from February 2005. Starting January 2016, Fife has served as Ottawa bureau chief for The Globe and Mail.
Before his stint at CTV, Fife was also Ottawa bureau chief for CanWest News Service, the National Post, and the Sun Media chain. When with CTV, he was the host of its Question Period show, a political panel discussion; after Fife's move to The Globe and Mail was announced, it was also stated that the show would be rebranded CTV’s Question Period with The Globe and Mail’s Robert Fife.
Fife is a native of Chapleau, Ontario. He has been covering national politics since 1978, when he began his career in the parliamentary bureau of News Radio. He moved to United Press International of Canada in 1983.
Fife worked as a senior political correspondent for The Canadian Press from 1984 to 1987. He spent a decade as the Ottawa bureau chief for Sun Media where he also wrote a regular column. In 1998, Fife joined the National Post as its Ottawa bureau Chief. In 2002, he became the bureau chief for both the National Post and CanWest News Services. In 2005, Fife became Ottawa bureau chief for CTV News.
On 19 November 2015, it was announced that starting 1 January 2016, Fife was moving on from his role as Ottawa bureau chief for CTV News to serve the same role for The Globe and Mail. Fife is currently the host of CTV’s political panel show Question Period, which will be renamed CTV’s Question Period with The Globe and Mail’s Robert Fife in 2016.
- National Newspaper Citation of Merit, Political Reporting 2004
- National Newspaper Citation of Merit, Breaking News 2002
- Edward Dunlop Award for Spot News, 1997
- Kim Campbell: The Making of a Politician (1993)
- A Capital Scandal: Politics, Patronage and Payoff — Why Parliament Must Be Reformed (with John Warren, 1991)
- Fife, Robert (3 July 2017). "Ottawa to offer Omar Khadr apology, $10-million in compensation". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved 10 July 2017.
- Murphy, Rex (7 July 2017). "Rex Murphy: Trudeau skips the theme socks for his scheming Khadr apology". National Post. Retrieved 10 July 2017.
- McDonald, Neil (6 March 2019). "Trudeau's verbal porridge and serene smile have carried him along. Until now: Neil Macdonald". CBC. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- Bradshaw, James (19 November 2015). "Robert Fife joining The Globe as Ottawa bureau chief". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved 19 November 2015.
- Helmer, Aedan (19 November 2015). "Another big name leaving CTV: Bob Fife on the move". Ottawa Sun. Retrieved 19 November 2015.
- ctvnews.ca: "Robert Fife - Ottawa Bureau Chief"
- theglobeandmail.com: "A shoe-leather newsman, and our own Deep Throat", 1 Sep 2015
|This article about a Canadian journalist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|