Robert Floris van Eyck
He was born in The Hague as the son of poet, critic, essayist and philosopher Pieter Nicolaas van Eyck and wife Nelly Estelle Benjamins, a woman of Jewish and Latin origin born and raised in Suriname.
In March 1918, his brother Aldo van Eyck, later a famous architect, was born in Driebergen. In 1919, his family moved to London where his father was a correspondent for the Nieuwe Rotterdamsche Courant. Van Eyk was educated in England (at Sidcot School in Somerset) during his youth.
Marriage and children
He married as her second husband in London, Greater London, on 3 December 1962 and divorced in 1986 Princess Christina Margarethe of Hesse (b. Kronberg im Taunus, 10 January 1933 – 21 November 2011), married firstly in Kronberg im Taunus on 2 August 1956 and divorced in London in 1962 from her first husband, Prince Andrew of Yugoslavia (Bled, Kingdom of Yugoslavia), 28 June 1929 - Irvine, Orange County, California, 7 May 1990), daughter of Prince Christoph of Hesse and wife Princess Sophie of Greece and Denmark, and had issue:
- Helene Sophia/Sophie van Eyck or van Eijk (b. London, Greater London, 25 October 1963), married in Hastings, East Sussex, Sussex, on 24 January 1986 as his second wife to Roderick Alan Harman (b. Zhangzhou, Fujian, China, 18 July 1942), married firstly on 2 July 1965 and divorced in 1980 to Mary Clarke, without issue, son of Douglas John Harman and wife Gladys Mary Gunstone, and had issue, two daughters:
- Mark/Marc Nicholas van Eyck or van Eijk (b. Oxford, Oxfordshire, 16 February 1966), married in Chelsea Register Office, London, on 12 June/13 June 1992 to Joanne Marea Green (b. Timaru, Canterbury, New Zealand, 11 October 1961), daughter of Michael John Green and wife Joan Craig-Braun, of British and Māori descent, without issue. They have separated.
- http://www.dbnl.org/tekst/hoor009ahil01_01/hoor009ahil01_01_0153.htm (in Dutch)
- http://www.dbnl.org/tekst/gres002svan02_01/gres002svan02_01_0658.htm (in Dutch)
- HP-Time.com Friday, Mar. 02, 1962 (Mar 2, 1962). "HP-Time.com — TIME". Time.com. Retrieved 2008-11-09.
- Friday, Feb. 25, 1966 (Feb 25, 1966). "TIME". Time.com. Retrieved 2008-11-09.
- http://www.inghist.nl/Onderzoek/Projecten/BWN/lemmata/bwn1/eijk (in Dutch)
- Marlene A. Eilers, Queen Victoria's Descendants (Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1987), page 167
- http://www.elpais.com/articulo/cultura/Fallece/Aldo/van/Eyck/arquitecto/clave/estructuralismo/holandes/elpepicul/19990116elpepicul_6/Tes/ (in Spanish)
- Sascha Alexandra Sophia Harman on Myspace
- Pendlebury, Richard (7 July 2008) "The West Country travel agent's wife 612th in line for the throne and the other unlikely Britons in our list of royal succession", Mail Online.