|Education||New York University Stern School of Business|
|Known for||Chairman of Nasdaq|
Robert Greifeld (born 1957) is an American businessman and was the chairman of Nasdaq, the largest electronic screen-based equity securities market in the United States. He served as CEO from 2003 to 2016 and was succeeded by Adena Friedman. Greifeld focused the NASDAQ-OMX mission on being the premier U.S equities market, leveraging NASDAQ-OMX's fundamental market structure advantage. He stepped down as Chairman in May 2017 and to become Chairman of Virtu Financial.
He has a 20-year history in technology, and as an entrepreneur created one of the first electronic stock order matching systems. He has led NASDAQ-OMX to nine straight quarters of top line growth. The year 2006 was NASDAQ-OMX's most successful since it began reporting financials in 1997; and in 2005, NASDAQ-OMX's stock was the number one performer across all markets.
Greifeld is an outspoken advocate for efficient capital markets, good regulation and ensuring that the U.S. markets continue to support business growth and innovation. He is a former member of the Committee on Capital Markets Regulation.
Prior to joining NASDAQ in May 2003, Greifeld was an Executive Vice-President with SunGard Data Systems, Inc., a $6.2 billion market cap company. Greifeld holds a master's degree in business from the New York University Stern School of Business, and a B.A. in English from Iona College.
Greifeld gave the commencement address at Iona College for the undergraduates of 2016 on May 21.
- Blackhurst, Chris (2006-11-22). "Long-distance runner on the trail of the LSE; Bob Greifeld trained all his life to be Nasdaq chief, so he isn't the type to give up on the London exchange". The Evening Standard. Retrieved 2010-09-25.
- "Nasdaq names Friedman CEO; Greifeld to be chairman". Reuters. 2016-11-14.
- "A big deal in trading has led to a Wall Street titan swapping roles". Business Insider. Retrieved 2018-02-19.
- "Robert Greifeld Named President and CEO of NASDAQ (NASDAQ:NDAQ)". ir.nasdaq.com. Retrieved 2018-02-19.
- "Iona College - About: News & Events". www.iona.edu. Retrieved 2017-02-13.
- "Nasdaq's marathon man". Financial Times. Retrieved 2018-02-19.
- "31 MEADOW RD".
- "Greifeld Robert and Julia".
- "Robert Greifeld and Julia".
- Staff. "NASDAQ CEO: Robert Greifeld", China Radio International, December 15, 2005. Accessed March 5, 2011. "Greifeld is a resident of Readington Township, New Jersey where he resides with his wife and three children."