Robert H. MacArthur Award
The Robert H. MacArthur Award is a biannual prize given by the Ecological Society of America to ecologists for their pivotal contributions to their field. The acceptance speeches of many recipients have been given at the annual meeting of the society and subsequently published in the ESA's Journal of Ecology.
The following is a self-descriptive quote taken from the Robert H. MacArthur Award page on the ESA's website: "The Robert H. MacArthur Award is given biannually to an established ecologist in mid-career for meritorious contributions to ecology, in the expectation of continued outstanding ecological research. Nominees may be from any country and need not be ESA members. The recipient is invited to prepare an address for presentation at the annual meeting of the society and for publication in Ecology."
- 1983 Robert Treat Paine, United States 
- 1984 Robert McCreadie May, United Kingdom 
- 1986 Thomas W. Schoener, United States 
- 1988 Simon Asher Levin, United States 
- 1990 William W. Murdoch, United States 
- 1992 Peter M. Vitousek, United States 
- 1994 Henry Miles Wilbur, United States 
- 1996 David Tilman, United States 
- 1998 Robert V. O'Neill, United States 
- 2000 Stephen R. Carpenter, United States 
- 2002 James H. Brown, United States 
- 2004 May Berenbaum, United States
- 2006 Alan Hastings, United States
- 2008 Monica Turner, United States
- 2010 Stephen W. Pacala, United States
- 2012 Anthony Ragnar Ives, United States
- 2014 Mercedes Pascual, United States
- 2016 Anurag A. Agrawal, United States
- "Robert H. MacArthur Award". Ecological Society of America. Retrieved 2015-11-27.
- Paine, R.T. (1984) Ecological determinism in the competition for space. Ecology 65: 1339-1348.
- May, Robert M. (1986) The search for patterns in the balance of nature: advances and retreats. Ecology 67: 1115-1126.
- Schoener, Thomas W. (1989) Food webs from the small to the large. Ecology 70: 1559-1589.
- Levin, Simon A. (1992) The problem of pattern and scale in ecology. Ecology 73: 1943-1967.
- Murdoch, W.W. (1994) Population regulation in theory and practice. Ecology 75: 271-287.
- Vitousek, Peter M. (1994) Beyond global warming: ecology and global change. Ecology 75: 1861-1876.
- Wilbur, Henry M. (1997) Experimental ecology of food webs: complex systems in temporary ponds. Ecology 78: 2279-2302.
- Tilman, David (1999) The ecological consequences of changes in biodiversity: A search for general principles. Ecology 80: 1455-1474.
- O'Neill, Robert V. (2001) Is it time to bury the ecosystem concept? (With full military honors, of course!). Ecology 82: 3275-3284.
- Carpenter, Stephen Russell (2002) Ecological futures: building an ecology of the long now. Ecology 83: 2069-2083.
- Brown, J.H., Gillooly, J.F., Allen, A.P., Savage, V.M. and West, G.B. (2004) Toward a metabolic theory of ecology. Ecology 85: 1771-1789.