Robert Harvey (Clwyd politician)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2015)|
Harvey first stood for Parliament, unsuccessfully, at Caernarvon in October 1974, where he was beaten by the future leader of Plaid Cymru, Dafydd Wigley. Five years later he contested Merioneth, once again being beaten by a Plaid Cymru incumbent, Dafydd Elis-Thomas.
In the Conservative landslide of 1983 general election, he was elected to the House of Commons as MP for Clwyd South-West. He became a member of the House of Commons Foreign Affairs Committee. He served for one term before his defeat at the 1987 election by the Labour candidate Martyn Jones.
He was a member of the Wilton Park council (1984-1988) and a member of the advisory board of the Woodrow Wilson Chair of International Politics (1985-1992). He is an active member of the Caux Round Table.
Robert Harvey is a prolific historian and author. In 2007 he edited and introduced the book entitled The World Crisis: The Way Forward after Iraq with works by Jimmy Carter, Henry Kissinger, George Shultz, Geoffrey Howe, Michael Heseltine, Zbigniew Brzezinski, Brent Scowcroft, Sam Nunn, Dick Lugar as well as himself. He has been translated into several languages and some of his titles have been widely read.
- Portugal: Birth of a Democracy (1978)
- Blueprint of a Democracy (1978)
- Fire Down Below: A Study of Latin America (1988)
- The Undefeated: The Rise, Fall and Rise of Modern Japan (1994)
- The Return of the Strong: The Drift to Global Disorder (1995)
- Clive: The Life and Death of a British Emperor (1998)
- Liberators: Latin America's Struggle for Independence (2000)
- Cochrane: The Life and Exploits of a Fighting Captain (2000)
- A Few Bloody Noses: The American War of Independence (2001)
- The Fall of Apartheid: The Inside History from Smuts to Mbeki (2002)
- Comrades: The Rise and Fall of World Communism (2003)
- Global Disorder (2003)
- The War of Wars: The great European Conflict 1793-1815 (2007)
- The World Crisis: The Way Forward after Iraq, ed. (2007)
- The Mavericks: The Military Commanders who Change the Course of History (2008)
- American Shogun: MacArthur, Hirohito and the American Duel with Japan (2009)
- Romantic Revolutionary: Simon Bolivar and the Struggle for Independence in Latin America (2011)
- Who's Who, London, A&C Black
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs [self-published source][better source needed]
- Times Guide to the House of Commons 1987
- The World Crisis: The Way Forward After Iraq, Edited and Introduced Robert Harvey, Jimmy Carter, Henry Kissinger, George Shultz et. al, London, Constable, 2008.
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Robert Harvey
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|New constituency||Member of Parliament for Clwyd South-West
1983 – 1987
|This article about a Conservative Member of the Parliament of the United Kingdom born in the 1950s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Member of the Parliament of the United Kingdom (since 1801), for a Welsh constituency is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|