|Also known as||Monolake|
|Labels||Imbalance Computer Music|
Coming from an engineering background, Henke is fascinated by the beauty of technical objects. Developing his own instruments and algorithms is an integral part of his creative process. His materials are computer generated sound and images, field recordings, photography and light; transformed, re-arranged and modulated by mathematical rules, real time interaction and controlled random operations. Many of his works use multiple channels of audio or are specifically conceived for unique locations and their individual properties. For the past few years, he has been exploring the artistic usage of high power lasers in his installations and performances.
Robert Henke is also a co-developer of the music software Ableton Live, with Gerhard Behles.
Since 1995 he has produced electronic music under the name Monolake, which he founded in collaboration with Gerhard Behles.
He writes and lectures about sound and the creative use of computers at the Berlin University of the Arts, the Center for Computer Research in Music and Acoustics (CCRMA) at Stanford University, and the Studio National des Arts Contemporains - Le Fresnoy in Lille, France.
His installations, performances and concerts have been presented at the Tate Modern London, the Centre Pompidou Paris, Le Lieu Unique Nantes, PS-1 New York, MUDAM Luxembourg, MAK Vienna, the Art Gallery of New South Wales in Australia, KW Institute for Contemporary Art, Berlin.
- Deep Web
- Lumiere II
- Destructive Observation Field
- Monolake Live Surround
- Atlantic Waves
- Fundamental Forces
- Monolake - Ghosts (2012)
- Monolake - Silence (2009)
- Robert Henke - Layering Buddha (2006)
- Monolake - Polygon Cities (2005)
- Robert Henke - Signal To Noise (2004)
- Monolake - Momentum (2003)
- Monolake - Cinemascope (2001)
- Monolake - Gravity (2000)
- Monolake - Interstate (1998)
- Monolake - Honkong (1997)
- Robert Henke - Piercing Music (1994)
- Robert Henke (official website)
- Ableton (official website)
- Label (Imbalance Computer Music)
- Robert Henke Discography
- Monolake Discography
- Mark J. Butler (ed.), Electronica, Dance and Club Music, Farnham: Ashgate, 2012.