June 2, 1992 |
Los Angeles, California
|Height:||5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)|
|Weight:||193 lb (88 kg)|
|High school:||Los Angeles (CA) Dorsey|
|NFL Draft:||2014 / Round: 6 / Pick: 185|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2014|
Robert Herron (// HERR-on; born June 2, 1992) is an American football wide receiver who is currently a free agent. He was drafted by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the sixth round of the 2014 NFL Draft. He played college football at Wyoming.
Herron was born in Los Angeles, California. He was raised by his fathers cousin because his father was in prison and his mother was not a "consistent presence". He attended Susan Miller Dorsey High School in Los Angeles, California. As a senior, he caught 24 passes for 600 yards and six touchdowns, while adding 15 carries for 171 yards and three touchdowns. He earned him first team all-city and all-league honors, and helped guide his team to an appearance in the semifinals of the state playoffs.
Along with playing football, Herron also ran track and field. He lettered as a sprinter in his final two years. He posted a career-best time of 10.5 seconds in the 100 meters, while also running the 200 meters in 20.99 seconds.
Herron attended the University of Wyoming from 2010 to 2013. Upon arriving at Wyoming, he signed so late in the process that he missed all of the summer camps and workouts. Despite this, he split time at wide receiver and running back, as he appeared in 10 of 12 games as a freshman in 2010. He carried the ball 40 times for 235 yards (5.9 avg), and caught 6 passes for 57 yards.
In 2011, predominately playing wide receiver, he started the season catching seven passes for 104 yards and two touchdowns, including the game-winning touchdown with 22 seconds left in the fourth quarter vs. Weber State. Herron finished the season second on the team with 43 receptions for 379 yards and three touchdowns.
In 2012, Herron established himself as a deep threat receiver, averaging 21.2 yds per reception. Opening the season vs #15 Texas, he had a breakout performance, totaling five catches for 173 yards and two touchdowns, earning himself as the National Receiver of the Week. He went on to catch 31 passes for 657 yards and eight touchdowns as a junior.
In 2013, as a senior, Herron set career highs in receptions (72), receiving yards (937), and touchdowns (9). In Wyoming's final home game, Herron recorded 11 catches, 141 receiving yards and four touchdowns in an 59-56 overtime win over Hawaii. His four-TD receptions in the game, tied the school record set by Marcus Davis in 1995. He earned honorable mention All-MWC honors.
2014 NFL Combine
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40‑yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20‑ss||3‑cone||Vert jump||Broad||BP|
|5 ft 9 in
|30 1⁄2 in
|9 3⁄4 in
|4.35 s||2.50 s||1.54 s||4.27 s||6.84 s||35.5 in
|10 ft 5 in
|All values from NFL combine except 40 yd dash from Wyoming Pro Day|
Tampa Bay Bucanneers
Herron was waived by Buccaneers on September 1, 2015.
The Miami Dolphins signed Herron to their practice squad on October 14, 2015. On January 6, 2016, Herron signed a reserve/future contract with the Miami Dolphins. On April 28, he was waived.
- Jones, Ross. "Former Wyoming WR Robert Herron's past drives him to succeed". FOX Sports. Retrieved 2016-05-14.
- Sondheimer, Eric (2014-03-16). "Robert Herron hopes to be among NFL draftees from Southern California". Los Angeles Times. ISSN 0458-3035. Retrieved 2016-05-14.
- "Robert Herron - Stats". California MileSplit. Retrieved 2016-05-14.
- Kissel, BJ. "WR Herron: From Hard Beginnings to Draft Riser". Bleacher Report. Retrieved 2016-05-14.
- writer, ERIC SCHMOLDT Star-Tribune staff. "Wyoming football notes: Alexander, Herron set marks in season opener". Casper Star-Tribune Online. Retrieved 2016-05-14.
- "Robert Herron Earns National Wide Receiver of the Week Honors". www.gowyo.com. Retrieved 2016-05-14.
- writer, MIKE VOREL Star-Tribune staff. "Herron scores four TDs in final Cowboys home game". Casper Star-Tribune Online. Retrieved 2016-05-14.
- "Five Wyoming Cowboys Earn All-Mountain West Conference Honors". www.gowyo.com. Retrieved 2016-05-14.
- writer, MIKE VOREL Star-Tribune staff. "Wyoming WR Robert Herron impresses in first Senior Bowl practice". Casper Star-Tribune Online. Retrieved 2016-05-14.
- writer, MIKE VOREL Star-Tribune staff. "Former Wyoming WR Herron completes NFL Combine workout". Casper Star-Tribune Online. Retrieved 2016-05-14.
- NFL Combine Profile
- Smith, Scott (September 1, 2015). "Bucs Get to 75-Man Roster Limit". Buccaneers.com. Retrieved January 1, 2016.
- Poupart, Alain (October 14, 2015). "Notebook: Battle Lines Drawn At Right Guard; Other Notes". MiamiDolphins.com. Retrieved January 2, 2016.
- "PRESS RELEASE: Dolphins Sign Eight Players To Reserve/Future Contracts". www.miamidolphins.com. Retrieved 2016-05-14.
- "PRESS RELEASE: Dolphins Make Roster Moves". www.miamidolphins.com. Retrieved 2016-05-14.
- "Oakland Raiders Sign Wide Receivers Robert Herron and Nathan Palmer". www.raiders.com. Retrieved 2016-05-24.