Robert Hibbs Peebles
Robert H. Peebles
Peebles in 1944
|Died||1956 (aged 55)|
|Known for||Research in cotton breeding, desert plant taxonomy|
|Institutions||U.S. Department of Agriculture|
|Influences||Thomas Henry Kearney|
Robert Hibbs Peebles (1900–1956) was an American botanist and agronomist who worked for the United States Department of Agriculture. He is known for his contributions to the flora of the American Southwest and work on breeding cotton. His 1951 book Arizona Flora, co-authored with Thomas H. Kearney, and republished posthumously in 1960, is recognized as the most comprehensive study of Arizona plants of its time.
Peebles named and described over 180 species or variety of plants, often in collaboration with Kearney. Peebles and Kearney also collaborated on cotton breeding, and their contributions to the science of cotton growing have been recognized as "among the most outstanding of all time." In 1955, Peebles was awarded an honorary Doctorate of Science from the University of Arizona in recognition of his contributions to Arizona agriculture.
- Kearney, T. H., and R. H. Peebles. 1927. "Inheritance of rate of shedding in a cotton hybrid". Journal of Agricultural Research. 34 (10): 921-926.
- Peebles, R. H., & Kearney, T. H. 1928. Mendelian inheritance of leaf shape in cotton. Journal of Heredity, 19(5), 235-238.
- Kearney, T. H., & Peebles, R. H. 1942. Flowering plants and ferns of Arizona (No. 423). US Dept. of Agriculture.
- Peebles, Robert H. 1942. Pure-seed production of Egyptian-type cotton. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture.
- Peebles, Robert H., G. T. Den Hartog, and E. H. Pressley. 1956. Effect of spacing on some agronomic and fiber characteristics of irrigated cotton. Washington: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture.
- Kearney, T. H, and R. H. Peebles. 1960. Arizona Flora: with supplement by John Thomas Howell, Elizabeth McLintock and collaborators. Berkeley: Univ. of California Press.
- Kearney, Thomas H. (1957). "Robert Hibbs Peebles". Madroño. 14 (1): 11–13. JSTOR 41423539.
- "Arizona Floras and Floristic works". University of Arizona Herbarium. Retrieved 15 May 2014.
- Benson, L. (21 April 1961). "Review: Arizona Flora. Thomas H. Kearney, Robert H. Peebles, and collaborators. Second edition with supplement by John Thomas Howell, Elizabeth McClintock, and collaborators". Science. 133 (3460): 1245–1246. doi:10.1126/science.133.3460.1245-b.
- H. Lewis (1961). "Book Review: Arizona Flora. by Thomas H. Kearney; Robert H. Peebles". The Quarterly Review of Biology. 36 (4): 289. doi:10.1086/403512. JSTOR 2816685.
- "Peebles". International Plant Names Index.
- IPNI. Peebles.
- Works by or about Robert Hibbs Peebles at Internet Archive
- Works by or about Robert Hibbs Peebles in libraries (WorldCat catalog)
|This article about an American botanist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|