Born in Thornton-le-Dale on 25 February 1921 and educated at Scarborough College and St Edmund Hall, Oxford, he was ordained after a period of study at Ripon College Cuddesdon in 1947. In that year he married Mary, the elder daughter of Eric Graham, the Bishop of Brechin: they had three children. He was Curate of Pocklington until 1948 when he became a Chaplain to the Forces. Following this he was Chaplain and an Assistant Master at Malvern College then St Edward's School, Oxford. From 1959 to 1967 he was a Canon Residentiary at Carlisle Cathedral and a Director of Education, Diocese of Carlisle. For the next decade he was General Secretary of the National Society for Promoting Religious Education. During the same period, he was a member of the Schools Committee, Church of England Board of Education, serving as Secretary (1967–74) and then General Secretary (1974–77). He was Dean of Chichester from 1977 until his retirement in 1989. He died on 13 March 2003.
- Cudlipp Collection, Cardiff University
- National Archives
- Amongst others he wrote “Daniel Waterland, A Study in 18th Century Orthodoxy”, 1966; “Carlisle Cathedral Library and Records Office”, 1966; “Eric Graham, 1888–1964”, 1967; “Carlisle Cathedral”, 1969; “Chichester Cathedral”, 1980; “Robert Wright Stopford”, 1988; “Bishop William Otter”, 1989; “Eric Milner-White”, 1991; and “The Minster School, York”, 1994 > British Library web site accessed 5 December 2009
- Obituary of the Very Rev Robert Tinsley Holtby. The Independent. 9 April 2003.
- “Who was Who” 1897-1990 London, A & C Black, 1991 ISBN 0-7136-3457-X
- Crockford's Clerical Directory 1975-76 London: Oxford University Press, 1976 ISBN 0-19-200008-X
- The Times, Monday, 24 November 1947; pg. 7; Issue 50926; col B Marriages
- National Church Institutions Database of Manuscripts and Archives
- Telegraph Obituary
|Church of England titles|
John Walter Atherton Hussey
| Dean of Chichester
1977 – 1989
John David Treadgold