Robert Innes (bishop)
|The Right Reverend|
|Bishop in Europe|
|Church||Church of England|
|Diocese||Diocese in Europe|
Senior Chaplain and Chancellor of Holy Trinity, Brussels (2005–2014)|
Chaplain to the Queen (2012–present)
by Michael Turnbull
20 July 2014|
by Justin Welby
1959 (age 58–59)|
Wolverhampton, Staffordshire, United Kingdom
|Profession||previously engineer; lecturer; systematic theologian|
|Alma mater||King's College, Cambridge|
Early life and education
Innes was born in Wolverhampton and educated at Royal Grammar School, Guildford, and studied engineering at Cambridge University, gaining his Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree in 1982. He worked in the electric power industry until 1989 when he went to train for the priesthood at Cranmer Hall, Durham, whence he gained a further BA (in Theology) in 1991 and his doctorate (Doctor of Philosophy, PhD) from Durham University in 1995.
Innes was made a deacon at Petertide (2 July) 1995, by Michael Turnbull, Bishop of Durham, at Durham Cathedral, and ordained a priest the next year. He then became a lecturer in systematic theology at St John's College, Durham (of which Cranmer Hall is a part), while serving two titles/curacies: he was ordained to the title of St Cuthbert's Church, Durham and then served a curacy at Sherburn, Pittington and Shadforth from 1997. He remained in these posts until 1999, when he was appointed as vicar of St Mary Magdalene Church in Belmont.
He moved to Brussels, taking his first Diocese in Europe post in 2005, as Chancellor and Senior Chaplain (i.e. the priest-in-charge) of Holy Trinity Pro-Cathedral, Brussels; he was additionally appointed a Chaplain to the Queen (an honorary post) in 2012. He was appointed Bishop in Europe in 2014; he was consecrated as a bishop on 20 July 2014 at Canterbury Cathedral by Justin Welby, Archbishop of Canterbury (with co-consecrators Richard Chartres, Bishop of London and Tim Dakin, Bishop of Winchester) and installed at Gibraltar Cathedral on 4 September 2014. As Bishop in Europe, his residence is in Waterloo, Belgium.
Innes married in 1985 and has four children.
- The Reverend Doctor Robert Innes (1995–2005)
- The Reverend Canon Doctor Robert Innes (2005–2014)
- The Right Reverend Doctor Robert Innes (2014–present)
- Innes, Robert Neil. ukwhoswho.com. Who's Who. 2017 (November 2016 online ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. Retrieved 25 June 2017.
- "Petertide ordinations (Archived; subscription only)". Church Times (#6908). 7 July 1995. p. 7. ISSN 0009-658X. Retrieved 25 June 2017. (Subscription required (. ))
- Crockford's Clerical Directory (online ed.). Church House Publishing. Retrieved 26 June 2017. .
- Diocese in Europe – New Diocesan Bishop Appointed (Archived 29 November 2014; accessed 22 December 2015)
- The Cathedral of the Holy Trinity, Gibraltar – Events (Archived 10 August 2014; accessed 22 December 2015)