Robert J. Fisher
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (January 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Robert J. Fisher|
|Born||Robert Joseph Fisher|
August 26, 1954
|Alma mater||B.A. Princeton University|
M.B.A. Stanford University
|Occupation||Chairman of The Gap Inc. Board of Directors|
|Net worth||$1.6 billion (March 2013)|
|Spouse(s)||Elizabeth S. Fisher|
|Family||William S. Fisher (brother)|
John J. Fisher (brother)
Robert Joseph "Bob" Fisher (born August 26, 1954) is an American businessman. He is currently chairman of the Gap Inc. Board of Directors  and has been a director since 1990; he was previously chairman of the board (2004-2007) and interim chief executive officer. The son of Gap Inc. co-founders Donald Fisher and Doris F. Fisher, Bob Fisher has been involved with the company as a board member or employee for over 30 years.
Early life and education
Fisher was born to a Jewish family, is the son of Doris Feigenbaum Fisher and Donald Fisher, the co-founders of Gap, Inc. He has two brothers: William S. Fisher and John J. Fisher. Fisher attended Phillips Exeter Academy and Princeton University, where he received a bachelor's degree. He is also a graduate of the Stanford University School of Business, from which he earned a master's degree in Business Administration.
Fisher's professional history with the company began when he became a Gap store manager in 1980. Following that, Fisher went to work at the company's corporate headquarters, where his roles increased in responsibility, with hands-on experience as a merchant and executive.
In 1989, Fisher was named President of Banana Republic; in 1990, became a member of the Board of Directors of Gap Inc., and in 1992, he was named an Executive Vice President of Gap Inc. From 1993 to 1995, he served as Chief Financial Officer of Gap Inc., at which time he was promoted to Chief Operating Officer of the company. In 1997, he was named President of Gap brand, overseeing the adult, babyGap and GapKids businesses. In 2004, he served as chairman of the Board of Directors.
He is president of the Board of the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art. With a longstanding commitment to environmental issues, he serves on the Board of Trustees for Conservation International as a member of the Executive Committee. He served on the board of the Natural Resources Defense Council for more than 20 years, and he is currently on the organization's Honorary Board of Trustees.
Appointed by Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger in 2009 as the only public member of the Strategic Growth Council, Fisher was appointed by Governor Jerry Brown in 2014 as vice chair. The SGC coordinates activities that support sustainable communities, emphasizing strong economies, social equity and environmental stewardship.
- Forbes: The World's Billionaires - Robert Fisher March 2013
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2015-10-21. Retrieved 2015-10-23.
- Investor information at Gap, Inc. web site
- The Jewish News Weekly of Northern California: "Gap Founder Donald Fisher Leaves Stamp on Community" October 1, 2009
- San Francisco Gate: "A's NEW ERA / JOHN FISHER / Son of Gap founder is the money behind the deal" by Todd Wallack March 31, 2005
- "Gap's Robert Fisher retires". SFGate. Retrieved 2018-03-01.
- "Board of Trustees". SFMOMA. Retrieved 2018-03-01.
- "Board of Trustees". NRDC. Retrieved 2018-03-01.
- Princeton University news: "Fisher family funds dormitory for Princeton's Whitman College" by Ruth Stevens June 12, 2006