Sir Robert Jardine, 1st Baronet (24 May 1825 – 17 February 1905) was a Scottish businessman and Liberal politician
Jardine was born at Edinburgh the son of David Jardine of Muir House, Lockerbie, Dumfries and his wife Rachel Johnstone. In 1865 he became head of Jardine, Matheson and Co., one of the largest Far East trading houses based in Hong Kong.
At the general election in July 1865, Jardine was elected as Member of parliament (MP) for Ashburton in Devon where his uncle William Jardine had been an earlier MP. The Ashburton constituency was abolished at the 1868 general election and he was elected instead at Dumfries Burghs. In 1874 he changed seat again and stood unsuccessfully for Dumfriesshire. However he was elected at the next election in March 1880 and held the seat until he stood down at the 1892 general election. Jardine was created 1st Baronet Jardine, of Castlemilk, Dumfries in June 1885. He was J.P. and Deputy Lieutenant of Perthshire. He was also a Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society.
Jardine lived at Castle Milk, Lockerbie. He died aged 79.
- the Peerage.com
- Craig, F. W. S. (1989) . British parliamentary election results 1832–1885 (2nd ed.). Chichester: Parliamentary Research Services. p. 30. ISBN 0-900178-26-4.
- Craig, op. cit., page 537
- Craig, op. cit., page 581
- Craig, F. W. S. (1989) . British parliamentary election results 1885–1918 (2nd ed.). Chichester: Parliamentary Research Services. p. 535. ISBN 0-900178-27-2.
- "Additional Honours and Appointments". London Standard. British Newspaper Archive. 30 June 1885. Retrieved 6 July 2014. (Subscription required (. ))
- "No. 25490". The London Gazette. 14 July 1885. p. 3239.
- Debretts Guide to the House of Commons 1886
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Sir Robert Jardine
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
John Harvey Astell
|Member of Parliament for Ashburton
1865 – 1868
see South Devon & East Devon
|Member of Parliament for Dumfries Burghs
1868 – 1874
|Member of Parliament for Dumfriesshire
1880 – 1892
William Jardine Herries Maxwell