||A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (November 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Robert Jensen speaking at York University after "The Heart of Whiteness" was published.
|Born||Robert William Jensen
July 14, 1958
|Alma mater||University of Minnesota|
|Thesis title||Knowing Pornography|
|Institutions||Moody College of Communication|
|Main interests||Journalism and mass communication|
|Notable works||Getting Off: Pornography and the End of Masculinity|
|Notable ideas||Media law, ethics, and politics|
Robert William Jensen (born July 14, 1958), has been professor of journalism at the University of Texas at Austin since 1992. He teaches graduate and undergraduate courses in media law, ethics, and politics.
In his research, Jensen draws on a variety of critical theories. As a radical feminist, Jensen has focused much of his work on the radical feminist critique of pornography and of masculinity. He also has written about white privilege and institutional racism. He also sits on the editorial board of the journal Sexualization, Media, and Society.
In 1981, he received a Bachelor of Science degree from Moorhead State University (now Minnesota State University, Moorhead), and in 1985, he received a Master of Arts degree in journalism and public affairs from American University. In 1992 he completed his Ph.D. in media law and ethics in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication at the University of Minnesota.
Career and activism
In addition to teaching and research, Jensen writes for popular media, both alternative and mainstream. His opinion and analytic pieces on such subjects as foreign policy, politics, and race have appeared in papers around the U.S. He also is involved in a number of activist groups working against U.S. military and economic domination, including the Third Coast Activist Resource Center.
9/11 opinion piece
In the piece, Jensen wrote that the September 11th terrorist attacks were "reprehensible and indefensible" but "no more despicable than the massive acts of terrorism – the deliberate killing of civilians for political purposes – that the U.S. government has committed during my lifetime."
Jensen's piece drew both praise and criticism. Some individuals demanded that The University of Texas fire Jensen. In response, University of Texas President Larry Faulkner wrote in a letter to the editor published in the Houston Chronicle that he was "disgusted by Jensen's article" and called Jensen "a fountain of undiluted foolishness on issues of public policy."
Views on transgenderism
In early July 2014, MonkeyWrench Books collective cut all ties with Jensen over his article reviewing two feminist books that analyzed transgenderism. In the review published by Dissident Voice, Jensen concluded that, "On the surface, transgenderism may seem to be a more revolutionary approach, but radical feminism offers a deeper critique of the domination/subordination dynamic at the heart of patriarchy and a more promising path to liberation." which they felt "contributes to a dangerous culture of transphobia". In addition, Dexter M. Thomas wrote a rebuttal which was also published by Dissident Voice. Jensen responded by writing a follow-up article which elaborated on his views on the ecological and social implications of the trans ideology.
- Jensen, Robert; Allen, David S. (1995). Freeing the first amendment: critical perspectives on freedom of expression. New York: New York University Press. ISBN 9780814706381.
- Jensen, Robert; Dines, Gail; Russo, Ann (1997). Pornography: the production and consumption of inequality. New York: Routledge. ISBN 9780415918138.
- Jensen, Robert (2002). Writing dissent: taking radical ideas from the margins to the mainstream. New York: Peter Lang. ISBN 9780820456515.
- Jensen, Robert (2004). Citizens of the empire: the struggle to claim our humanity. San Francisco: City Lights. ISBN 9780872864320.
- Jensen, Robert (2005). The heart of whiteness: confronting race, racism and white privilege. San Francisco: City Lights. ISBN 9780872864498.
- Jensen, Robert (2007). Getting off: pornography and the end of masculinity. Cambridge, Massachusetts: South End Press. ISBN 9780896087767.
- Jensen, Robert (2009). All my bones shake: seeking a progressive path to the prophetic voice. Brooklyn: Soft Skull Press. ISBN 9781593763466.
- Jensen, Robert (2013). We are all apocalyptic now: on the responsibilities of teaching, preaching, reporting, writing, and speaking out. San Francisco: City Lights Books. ISBN 9781481958479.
- Jensen, Robert (2013). Arguing for our lives: critical thinking in crisis times. San Francisco: City Lights. ISBN 9780872865730.
- Jensen, Robert (2015). Plain radical: living, loving and learning to leave the planet gracefully. Berkeley, California: Soft Skull Press. ISBN 9781619026797.
- Jensen, Robert (2004), "Knowing pornography", in Carter, Cynthia; Steiner, Linda, Critical readings: media and gender, Maidenhead: Open University Press, pp. 246–264, ISBN 9780335210985.
- Jensen, Robert (2004), "Blows bangs and cluster bombs: the cruelty of men and Americans", in Whisnant, Rebecca; Stark, Christine, Not for sale: feminists resisting prostitution and pornography, North Melbourne, Victoria: Spinifex Press, pp. 28–37, ISBN 9781876756499
- Jensen, Robert (January 1992). "Fighting objectivity: the illusion of journalistic neutrality in coverage of the Persian Gulf War". Journal of Communication Inquiry (Sage) 16 (1): 20–32. doi:10.1177/019685999201600102.
- Jensen, Robert (September 1993). "Pornographic novels and the ideology of male supremacy". Howard Journal of Communications (Taylor and Francis) 5 (1–2): 92–107. doi:10.1080/10646179309361653.
- Jensen, Robert (March 1994). "Banning 'Redskins' from the sports page: the ethics and politics of Native American nicknames". Journal of Mass Media Ethics (Taylor and Francis) 9 (1): 16–25. doi:10.1207/s15327728jmme0901_2.
- Jensen, Robert (March 1995). "Pornographic lives". Violence Against Women (Sage) 1 (1): 32–54. doi:10.1177/1077801295001001003.
- Jensen, Robert (April 1995). "Pornography and affirmative conceptions of freedom". Women & Politics (Taylor and Francis) 15 (1): 1–18. doi:10.1300/J014v15n01_01.
- Jensen, Robert (January 1996). "The politics and ethics of lesbian and gay "wedding"; announcements in newspapers". Howard Journal of Communications (Taylor and Francis) 7 (1): 13–28. doi:10.1080/10646179609361710.
- Jensen, Robert (March 1996). "Knowing pornography". Violence Against Women (Sage) 2 (1): 82–102. doi:10.1177/1077801296002001005.
- Jensen, Robert (March 1996). "What are journalists for?". Peace Review: A Journal of Social Justice, special issue: Media and Social Change (Taylor and Francis) 8 (1): 21–26. doi:10.1080/10402659608425925.
- Jensen, Robert (June 1996). "Journalists and the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act". Journalism & Mass Communication Quarterly (Sage) 73 (2): 417–426. doi:10.1177/107769909607300212.
- Jensen, Robert (January 1997). "Privilege, power, and politics in research: A response to 'Crossing sexual orientations'". International Journal of Qualitative Studies in Education (Taylor and Francis) 10 (1): 25–30. doi:10.1080/095183997237377.
- Jensen, Robert (July 1998). "Signs of struggle: voices from the anti-pornography movement". Books-on-Law (JURIST) 1 (4). Archived from the original on January 11, 2014.
- Jensen, Robert (September 1998). "First Amendment potluck". Communication Law and Policy (Taylor and Francis) 3 (4): 563–588. doi:10.1080/10811689809368664.
- Jensen, Robert (December 2003). "Patriotism's a bad idea at a dangerous time". Peace Review: A Journal of Social Justice (Taylor and Francis) 15 (4): 389–396. doi:10.1080/1040265032000156744.
- Jensen, Robert (March 2004). "September 11 and the failures of American intellectuals". Communication and Critical/Cultural Studies (Taylor and Francis) 1 (1): 80–88. doi:10.1080/1479142042000180935.
- Jensen, Robert (September 2004). "Homecoming". Journal of Homosexuality (Taylor and Francis) 47 (3-4): 75–81. doi:10.1300/J082v47n03_05.
- Jensen, Robert (January 2006). "Book review: Gay Male Pornography: An Issue of Sex Discrimination". Men and Masculinities (Sage) 8 (3): 371–373. doi:10.1177/1097184X05277702.
- Review of: Kendall, Christopher N. (2004). Gay male pornography an issue of sex discrimination. Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada: UBC Press. ISBN 9780774851152.
- Jensen, Robert (January–March 2016). "Pornographic values: hierarchy and hubris". Sexualization, Media, and Society (Sage) 2 (1): 1–5. doi:10.1177/2374623815627787. Pdf.
- Miguel Picker and Chyng Sun (producer / director), Robert Jensen (senior consultant / participant) (2008). The price of pleasure: pornography, sexuality and relationships (film). Media Education Foundation. 55 mins
- Abe Osheroff (producer), Nadeem Uddin (director), Robert Jensen (participant) (2009). One foot in the grave the other still dancing (film). Media Education Foundation. 46 mins
- Sut Jhally (co-director), Bathsheba Ratzkoff (co-director), and Robert Jensen (participant) (2004). Peace, propaganda and the promised land: media & the Israel-Palestine conflict (documentary) (YouTube). Forces in Motion.
- Robert Jensen (speech) (October 30, 2008). Robert Jensen: The American Dream dead? (YouTube). Joe Friendly. Retrieved 9 November 2015.
- Robert Jensen (talk organized by the USC School of Social Work) (April 1, 2009). Uprising special: Robert Jensen on white supremacy, patriarchy, and capitalism (Audio). Uprising with Sonali. Retrieved November 9, 2015. Recording by Global Voices for Justice.
- Robert Jensen (speech) (July 1, 2009). Robert Jensen "The Color of the Race Problem Is White" (YouTube). DESUUUUUUUUU. Retrieved 9 November 2015.
- Robert Jensen (speech) (October 2, 2009). Robert Jensen;Feminism and Masculinity, Minnesota Mens Action Network (YouTube). DESUUUUUUUUU. Retrieved 9 November 2015.
- Robert Jensen (speech) (January 14, 2010). Robert Jensen;Beyond Multiculturalism (YouTube). DESUUUUUUUUU. Retrieved 9 November 2015.
- Thorne Dreyer (host), Robert Jensen (guest) (July 8, 2011). Rag Radio 2011-07-08 / Journalism Professor, Author, and Radical Activist Robert Jensen (Radio). KOOP 91.7-FM. Retrieved 9 November 2015. (one hour)
- Jensen, Robert; Dines, Gail (11 November 2012). "A pornography habit destroys relationships". The New York Times (The New York Times Company).
- "Jensen, Robert, 1958-". Library of Congress. Retrieved November 9, 2015.
(Robert Jensen; b. July 14, 1958)
- "Editorial board: Sexualization, Media, and Society". Sage. Retrieved 4 January 2016.
- Jensen, Robert (July 19, 1998). "Robert W. Jensen: White Privilege". uts.cc.utexas.edu. University of Texas at Austin College of Communication. Retrieved April 24, 2011.
- Jensen, Robert. "Robert W. Jensen: Curriculum Vitae". uts.cc.utexas.edu. University of Texas at Austin College of Communication. Retrieved April 24, 2011.
- Jensen, Robert. "Robert W. Jensen: Articles". uts.cc.utexas.edu. University of Texas at Austin College of Communication. Retrieved April 24, 2011.
- Jensen, Robert. "Nuclear threats at home and abroad". thirdcoastactivist.org. Third Coast Activist Resource Center. Retrieved November 9, 2015.
- Jensen, Robert (September 14, 2001). "U.S. just as guilty of committing own violent acts". Houston Chronicle (Hearst Corporation). Archived from the original on October 18, 2015. Retrieved November 9, 2015. Also available through Common Dreams website.
- Nichols, Lee (September 28, 2001). "War of Words". The Austin Chronicle (Nick Barbaro). Archived from the original on November 11, 2012. Retrieved November 23, 2013.
- MonkeyWrench books collective (June 2014). "Smash the Cistem". us7.campaign-archive1.com. MonkeyWrench books collective. Retrieved July 26, 2014.
- Jensen, Robert (June 13, 2014). "Some basic propositions about sex, gender, and patriarchy". dissidentvoice.org. Dissident Voice. Retrieved November 9, 2015.
- Thomas, Dexter M. (June 21, 2014). "Gender and sexual diversity". dissidentvoice.org. Dissident Voice. Retrieved November 9, 2015.
- Jensen, Robert (September 12, 2014). "Ecological and social implications of trans and climate change". dissidentvoice.org. Dissident Voice. Retrieved November 9, 2015.
- Jensen, Robert (June 5, 2009). "The Inquisition". Killingthebuddha.com. Killing the Buddha. Retrieved April 24, 2011.
- Chotzinoff, Robin. "Eliza Gilkyson". edibleaustin.com. Edible Austin. Retrieved November 9, 2015.