Robert Kelly (rugby league)
|Full name||Robert Kelly|
|Source: rugbyleagueproject.org englandrl.co.uk|
Robert "Bob" Kelly is an Irish professional rugby league footballer of the 1950s playing at representative level for Great Britain, and Other Nationalities, and at club level for Keighley, Wakefield Trinity (Captain) (Heritage № 604), and Batley, as a Prop, or Second-row, i.e. number 8 or 10, or, 11 or 12, during the era of contested scrums.
Bob Kelly won caps for Other Nationalities while at Wakefield Trinity in 1955 against England, and France, and represented Great Britain while at Wakefield Trinity in 1956 against France (non-Test match).
Along with William "Billy" Banks, Edward "Ted" Cahill, Gordon Haynes, Keith Holliday, William "Billy" Ivison, John McKeown, George Parsons, and Edward "Ted" Slevin, Bob Kelly's only Great Britain appearance came against France prior to 1957, these matches were not considered as Test matches by the Rugby Football League, and consequently caps were not awarded.
County Cup Final appearances
Bob Kelly played Right-Second-row, i.e. number 12, in Keighley's 3-17 defeat by Wakefield Trinity in the 1951 Yorkshire County Cup Final during the 1951–52 season at Fartown Ground, Huddersfield on Saturday 27 October 1951 in front of a crowd of 25,495, played Left-Second-row, i.e. number 11, and was captain in Wakefield Trinity's 23-5 victory over Hunslet in the 1956 Yorkshire County Cup Final during the 1956–57 season at Headingley, Leeds on Saturday 20 October 1956 in front of a crowd of 31,147, and played Left-Second-row in the 20-24 defeat by Leeds in the 1958 Yorkshire County Cup Final during the 1958–59 season at Odsal Stadium, Bradford on Saturday 18 October 1958.
Notable Tour Match Appearances
Honoured by Rugby League Ireland
On 25 March 2004 six footballers were inducted into Rugby League Ireland's inaugural Hall of Fame at the Rugby League Heritage Centre in Huddersfield, they were; John "Jack" Daly (Huddersfield/Featherstone Rovers), Robert "Bob" Kelly (Keighley/Wakefield Trinity/Batley), Seamus McCallion (Halifax/Leeds/Bramley), Thomas "Tom" McKinney, (Salford/Warrington/St. Helens), Terry O'Connor (Salford/Wigan Warriors/Widnes Vikings), Patrick "Paddy" Reid (Huddersfield/Halifax).
- "Statistics at rugbyleagueproject.org". rugbyleagueproject. 31 December 2011. Retrieved 1 January 2012.
- Edgar, Harry (2007). Rugby League Journal Annual 2008 [Page-110]. Rugby League Journal Publishing. ISBN 0-9548355-3-0
- Hoole, Les (2004). Wakefield Trinity RLFC - FIFTY GREAT GAMES. Breedon Books. ISBN 1-85983-429-9
- Briggs, Cyril & Edwards, Barry (12 May 1962). The Rugby League Challenge Cup Competition - Final Tie - Huddersfield v Wakefield Trinity - Match Programme. Wembley Stadium Ltd. ISBN n/a
- "Coach gets a double". Evening Chronicle. 25 March 2004. Retrieved 1 January 2012.