Robert Kolker is a projects and investigations reporter for Bloomberg News and Bloomberg Businesweek, a former contributing editor at New York Magazine, and the author of Lost Girls, a New York Times best-seller that was named one of Publisher's Weekly's Top Ten Books of 2013.
Bloomberg and New York Magazine
Kolker's longform journalism for Bloomberg and at New York often focuses on everyday people caught up in extraordinary events. His 2006 investigation into sexual abuse in the ultra-Orthodox Jewish community helped bring an abuser to justice and was nominated for a National Magazine Award. His exploration of an eighteen-year murder-exoneration case and the police tactics that can lead to false confessions received the Harry Frank Guggenheim 2011 Excellence in Criminal Justice Reporting Award.
Kolker's 2013 book Lost Girls recounts the lives of five sex workers murdered by the Long Island Serial Killer, and recounts the story of the hunt for the as-yet-unidentified killer. It also explores the implications of the emergence of on-line personal ads as a major vehicle for sex work. The book received wide critical acclaim.
- "Bloomberg's New York magazine raid continues with Kolker hire". Politico.com. Retrieved 11 January 2016.
- Kolker, Robert. "Lost Girls". Lost Girls. Retrieved 16 January 2017.
- "Combined Print and E-Book Non-Fiction Best Sellers". New York Times. 28 July 2013. Retrieved 3 November 2013.
- Kolker, Robert (2006). "On the Rabbi's Knee". New York Magazine. Retrieved 3 November 2013.
- Kolker, Robert (3 October 2010). "I Did It". New York Magazine. Retrieved 3 November 2013.
- "Gone Girls". The New York Times. 7 July 2013. Retrieved 13 August 2016.
- "'Lost Girls: An Unsolved American Mystery' is a tribute to five prostitutes". The Guardian. 6 August 2013. Retrieved 13 August 2016.
- "Book review: 'Lost Girls: An Unsolved American Mystery' by Robert Kolker - The Boston Globe". The Boston Globe. Retrieved 13 August 2016.
- Kolker, Robert (2013). "Lost Girls: An Unsolved American Mystery". books.usatoday.com. USA Today Books. Retrieved 13 August 2016.
- Anderson, Patrick (7 July 2013). "Robert Kolker's rich, tragic 'Lost Girls' delves into prostitution of Internet era". Washington Post. Retrieved 13 August 2016.
- "A Ghost Story That Lacks an Ending". The New York Times. 17 July 2013. Retrieved 13 August 2016.