Robert L. Holmes
||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (August 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Robert L. Holmes is a professor of philosophy at the University of Rochester, and an expert on issues of peace and nonviolence. Holmes specializes in ethics, and in social and political philosophy. He has written numerous articles and several books on those topics, and has been invited to address national and international conferences. He earned his undergraduate degree from Harvard College and Ph.D. in philosophy from the University of Michigan, and joined the Rochester faculty in 1962.
In 1998, Holmes was appointed to the newly established Rajiv Gandhi Chair in Peace and Disarmament at Jawaharlal Nehru University in New Delhi, India, where he shaped the mission of the chair on instruction, research, and lectures.
At Rochester, he also has received the Edward Peck Curtis Award for Undergraduate Teaching in 2001 and the Professor of the Year Award in Humanities in 2006. At the 2007 convocation ceremony, Holmes won the Goergen Award for Distinguished Achievement and Artistry in Undergraduate Teaching. Also, Holmes is known for being one of the very few professors to receive perfect or near perfect reviews every year since the university began student review services in 2001.
He was the longtime adviser to the University of Rochester Undergraduate Philosophy Council. As of 2009, Holmes is semi-retired, though he still teaches at the University of Rochester during some semesters.
- Basic Moral Philosophy by Robert L. Holmes
- Nonviolence in Theory and Practice by Robert L. Holmes and Barry L. Gan
- On War and Morality by Robert L. Holmes
- Philosophic Inquiry; An Introduction to Philosophy by Lewis White Beck and Robert L. Holmes
- Pacifism: A Philosophy of Nonviolence by Robert L. Holmes
- "Currents--November 9, 1998". www.rochester.edu. Retrieved 2016-12-05.
- Jr., Paulo Ghiraldelli, (February 2008). Contemporary pragmatism. Rodopi. pp. 111–. ISBN 978-90-420-2371-0. Retrieved 9 August 2011.
- Holmes, Robert L., (December 2016). Paficism: A Philosophy of Nonviolence. Bloomsbury. pp. 368–. ISBN 978-1-4742-7983-3. Retrieved 4 December 2016.
|This biography of an American philosopher is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|