Robert Ladislav Parker
Robert L. Parker is an American geophysicist and mathematician currently holding a Professor Emeritus of Geophysics position at the Scripps Institution of Oceanography at the University of California, San Diego in La Jolla, California.
The Institute of Geophysics and Planetary Physics in La Jolla
After completing a B.A. in Natural Sciences in 1963, M.A. in 1964, and Ph.D. in 1966 in Geophysics at Downing College, Cambridge in England, Parker moved to the U.S. to work at the Institute of Geophysics and Planetary Physics (IGPP). He has subsequently built on work by Freeman Gilbert and George Backus regarding inverse theory. He is a former director of IGPP.
- John Adam Fleming Medal, American Geophysical Union (2008)
- Gold Medal of the Royal Astronomical Society (1998)
- Fellow, Royal Society of London (1989)
- Fellow, American Geophysical Union (1976)
- James B. Macelwane Medal of the American Geophysical Union (1976)
- Guggenheim Fellowship (1975)
- Sloan Fellowship (1969–1971)
- Downing College Bye Fellowship (1965–1966)
- Downing College, Major Open Scholarship (1960–1963)
- State Scholarship Grant (1960–1963