May 12, 1920
New York City, United States
|Died||January 14, 1989|
Manhattan, New York City, United States
Early life, education and army service
Lekachman was born on May 12, 1920 in New York city. He received his A.B. from Columbia College in 1942 and Ph.D. from Columbia University. He served in the United States Army from March 1942 to December 1945. He was assigned to the 77th Infantry Division at Fort Jackson, South Carolina and became a clerk in a regimental headquarters. In World War II, he served in the Pacific War.
Lekachman was also noted for an interpretation of Keynes's General Theory that made central its rejection of Say's Law (in favor of Walras' law). Lekachman identified as a socialist.
In his obituary, the New York Times wrote: "Throughout his career Dr. Lekachman espoused a philosophy that sought to promote social justice simultaneously with economic growth. He advocated compassion on the part of government toward the underprivileged. His last published work, which appeared last week in The Nation magazine, was a cautionary article of advice to President-elect George Bush."
He died at his Manhattan home of liver cancer, survived by his wife Eva, who donated his papers in 1995.
- National Policy for Economic Welfare at Home and Abroad. 1955. Doubleday.
- A History of Economic Ideas. 1959. Harper.
- The varieties of economics. 1962. Cleveland: World Pub Co.
- Keynes and the classics. 1964. Heath.
- Keynes's General Theory: Reports of Three Decades. 1964. St. Martin's Press.
- The Age of Keynes. 1966. New York: Vintage Books.
- National income and the public welfare. 1972. New York: Random House. ISBN 039431087X
- Public service employment: jobs for all. 1972.
- Inflation: the permanent problem of boom and bust. 1973. New York: Vintage Books. ISBN 0394489683
- Economists at Bay : why the experts will never solve your problems. 1977. McGraw-Hill.
- The great Tax debate.
- Capitalism for Beginners. 1981. Pantheon
- Greed Is Not Enough: Reaganomics. 1982. Pantheon.
- Visions and Nightmares : America after Reagan. 1987. Macmillan.
- Lekachman, Robert (1962). The Varieties of Economics: Documents, Examples & Manifestoes Volume Two. World Publishing Company.
- Fowler, Glenn (January 16, 1989). "Robert Lekachman Is Dead at 68; Teacher and Writer of Economics". The New York Times. Retrieved December 26, 2008.
- Studs Terkel, "The Good War": An Oral History of World War II, Book One, The New Press, New York, Chapter: Robert Lekachman. ISBN 9781595587596
- Video on YouTube
- Fowler, Glen. "Robert Lekachman is Dead at 68". The New York Times Obituaries.