Robert M. Beren Academy
The school, previously named Hebrew Academy, is an independent Jewish school. Roselyn Bell, author of the "Houston" entry in The Jewish Traveler: Hadassah Magazine's Guide to the World's Jewish Communities and Sights, wrote that the Hebrew Academy has "Orthodox leanings".
Robert M. Beren Academy was founded in 1969 as the South Texas Hebrew Academy; the original campus was located at South Braeswood at Chimney Rock. In 1980, the school was renamed Hebrew Academy. In 1998, the school was again renamed to Robert M. Beren Academy after the Israel Henry Beren Foundation donated to the school.
After a six million-dollar capital campaign, the school moved into its 54,000-square-foot (5,000 m2) campus at 11333 Cliffwood.
In February 2012, Beren Academy's boys basketball team reached the semifinals of the Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools (TAPPS) state tournament, but withdrew from the semifinal game, which had been scheduled for Friday evening during the Jewish Sabbath, after TAPPS refused the school's request to reschedule the game for earlier in the day. However, after a coupled of team member parents filed for a lawsuit, the team was granted the opportunity to play by a Dallas court. Beren won the rescheduled semifinal game, but lost in the state championship.
In Fall 2012, Rabbi Perry Tirschwell assumed the position of Executive Director.
- Bell, Roselyn. "Houston." In: Tigay, Alan M. (editor) The Jewish Traveler: Hadassah Magazine's Guide to the World's Jewish Communities and Sights. Rowman & Littlefield, January 1, 1994. p. 215-220. ISBN 1568210787, 9781568210780.
- Bell, p. 218.
- Arlene Nisson Lassin, "Beren Academy marks 35 years", Houston Chronicle, September 14, 2006.
- Mary Pilon, "Jewish Team Refuses to Play During Sabbath, Loses Trip to Semifinals", The New York Times, February 27, 2012.
- Angel Verdejo, "Sabbath puts end to Beren Academy's promising season", Houston Chronicle, February 27, 2012.
- Randy Jennings, "Jewish HS granted restraining order", ESPN.com, March 1, 2012.
- Randy Jennings, "Beren Academy loses in state finals", ESPN.com, March 4, 2012.