Robert M. Owens
||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for biographies. (September 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Robert M. Owens|
25 August 1973 |
|Known for||Former Sunbury, Ohio, prosecutor|
Robert M. Owens (born August 25, 1973, in Manchester, Connecticut) is a Delaware, Ohio lawyer who ran as an independent candidate for Ohio Attorney General in the November 4, 2008 election. Owens currently serves on the national council of The John Birch Society.
Owens graduated with honors from Ohio Wesleyan University, with a major in history and a minor in journalism. Owens studied history and political science at Oxford University. Owens obtained his law degree with honors from the Capital University Law School.
Ohio Attorney General campaign
The special election for attorney general was created when the previous officeholder, Democrat Marc Dann resigned on May 14, 2008. On May 28, Ohio Governor Ted Strickland appointed Nancy H. Rogers, the Dean of The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law, to fill the post until a replacement takes office following the special election. Owens officially announced his candidacy at a press conference at the Ohio Statehouse on June 10, 2008.
On May 27, 2008, Owens filed a nominating petition with over 1300 signatures from 44 of Ohio's 88 counties. Ohio law requires 750 valid signatures to be presented within 10 days of the office being vacated in order for an independent to appear on the ballot.
Owens received 5% of the vote.
Owens is a member of the Delaware City Charter Review Commission, a panel tasked with reviewing and suggesting changes to the City Charter (the City's Constitution).
He filed to run for Attorney General again in 2010 under a Constitution Party label.
- Robert Owens - John Birch Society
- Robert Owens for Ohio Attorney General | Meet Robert
- "Attorney General Marc Dann resigns". The Plain Dealer. May 14, 2008.
- "Owens to announce attorney general candidacy". Owens2008.com. June 6, 2008.
- Columbus lawyer files for AG’s office - Vindy.com News - Local & Regional News, News Watch - Youngstown, Warren, Columbiana, Ohio
- David Skolnick (May 29, 2008). "Attorney general candidate's eligibility could be at risk". Vindicator Printing Company.
- http://www.lpo.org/Candidates/Candidates.shtml LPO's list of endorsements
- http://www.sos.state.oh.us/SOS/PressReleases/2010/2010-02-18.aspx Ohio SOS office, candidates file for May 4th, 2010 primary. Accessed Feb. 19th 2010.
- Press Release 6/6/08 | Robert Owens for Ohio Attorney General