Robert M. Schoch
Robert M. Schoch is an associate professor of Natural Sciences at the College of General Studies, a two-year core curriculum for bachelor's degree candidates at Boston University. He is a proponent of the Sphinx water erosion hypothesis.
He received his Ph.D. in geology and geophysics from Yale in 1983. He is best known for his argument that the Great Sphinx of Giza is much older than conventionally thought and that possibly some kind of catastrophe was responsible for wiping out evidence of a significantly older civilization. In 1991, Schoch redated the famous monument to 10,000–5000 BC, based on his argument that its erosion was due mainly to the effects of water, rather than wind and sand, and also based on findings from seismic studies around the base of the Sphinx and elsewhere on the plateau.
These arguments formed the basis of the 1993 documentary Mystery of the Sphinx, which was aired by NBC and presented by Charlton Heston. Schoch stars in the film alongside author John Anthony West.
Schoch's other theories include the belief that possibly all pyramids — in Egypt, Mesoamerica and elsewhere — represent, with other cultural commonalities, a much older global culture, either through common inheritance or ancient cultural contact around the world. He is also known for his research on the Yonaguni underwater monuments, where he has dived on several occasions, beginning in 1997; his analysis of the formations is that it is a natural site modified by man to suit their needs. Robert M. Schoch: "We should also consider the possibility that the Yonaguni Monument is fundamentally a natural structure that was utilized, enhanced, and modified by humans in ancient times."
Schoch investigated in 2006 the so-called Bosnian pyramid excavations, at the invitation of the locals. He concluded that the site held "absolutely no evidence of pyramids per se or of a great ancient civilization in the Visoko region."
- Forgotten Civilization, The Role of Solar Outbursts in our Past and Future, 2012. ISBN 978-1-59477-497-3.
- The Parapsychology Revolution: A Concise Anthology of Paranormal and Psychical Research, 2008. ISBN 1-58542-616-4.
- Environmental Ethics: A Case Studies Approach, 2007. ISBN 0-7637-2687-7.
- Environmental Science, with Andrew H. Lapinski, Anne Tweed, 2007. ISBN 0-13-069900-4.
- Environmental Science: Systems and Solutions, with Michael L. McKinney, Logan Yonavjak, 2007. ISBN 0-7637-4262-7.
- Development of Evolutionary Thought, with Peter Busher, Sally Sommers Smith, 2005. ISBN 0-618-65882-3.
- Pyramid Quest: Secrets of the Great Pyramid and the Dawn of Civilization, 2005. ISBN 1-58542-405-6.
- Environmental Science: Systems and Solutions, with Michael McKinney, 2003. ISBN 0-7637-0918-2.
- Voyages of the Pyramid Builders: The True Origins of the Pyramids from Lost Egypt to Ancient America, 2003. ISBN 1-58542-320-3.
- Horns, Tusks, and Flippers: The Evolution of Hoofed Mammals, with Donald R. Prothero, 2003. ISBN 0-8018-7135-2.
- Voices of the Rocks: A Scientist Looks at Catastrophes and Ancient Civilizations, 1999. ISBN 0-609-60369-8.
- Case Studies in Environmental Science, 1996. ISBN 0-314-20397-4.
- Stratigraphy: Principles and Methods, 1989. ISBN 0-442-28021-1.
- Phylogeny Reconstruction in Paleontology, 1986. ISBN 0-442-27967-1.
- "Robert M. Schoch". Boston University Expert Profiles. Boston University. Retrieved 2015-05-27.
- Schoch, Robert M.; West, John Anthony (1991). Redating the Great Sphinx of Giza, Egypt. Annual Meeting, Geological Society of America. San Diego, California: Geological Society of America. p. A253.
- Dobecki, Thomas L.; Schoch, Robert M. (1992). "Seismic Investigations in the Vicinity of the Great Sphinx of Giza, Egypt". Geoarchaeology 7 (6): 527–544. Retrieved 2015-05-30.
- Schoch, Robert M.; West, John Anthony (2000). Further Evidence Supporting a Pre-2500 B.C. Date for the Great Sphinx of Giza, Egypt. Annual Meeting, Geological Society of America. Reno, Nevada: Geological Society of America. p. A276.
- "Mystery of the Sphinx (TV Movie 1993) - IMDb". IMDb. Retrieved 2015-05-30.
- "Parapsychology Information Portal - Articles: Robert M. Schoch, PhD". Parapsychology Information Portal. 2013-07-18. Retrieved 2015-05-30.