Robert Mair, Baron Mair
|The Right Honourable
The Lord Mair
CBE FRS FICE FREng
Lord Mair's official parliamentary photo
|Member of the House of Lords
29 October 2015
|Born||20 April 1950|
|Alma mater||Clare College, Cambridge|
|Known for||Jubilee Line Extension|
|Awards||Fellow of the Royal Society
Commander of the Order of the British Empire
Robert James Mair, Baron Mair, CBE, FRS, FICE, FREng (born 20 April 1950) is a geotechnical engineer and Head of Civil and Environmental Engineering at the University of Cambridge. He is the Sir Kirby Laing Professor of Civil Engineering. He was Master of Jesus College, Cambridge, from 2001 to 2011 and a Fellow of St John's College, Cambridge from 1998 to 2001. In 2014 he was elected a vice president of the Institution of Civil Engineers and on 1 November 2017 became the Institution's President for 2017-18, its 200th anniversary year. On 13 October 2015 his appointment to be a peer in the House of Lords was announced. He sits as a Crossbencher.
The son of William Austyn Mair, Francis Mond Professor of Aeronautical Engineering at the University of Cambridge (1952–1983), Mair was educated at St Faith's and The Leys School in Cambridge and went on to study Engineering at Clare College, Cambridge gaining a MA degree in 1975 and a PhD degree in 1979.
Honours and awards
Mair was elected as a Fellow of the Institution of Civil Engineers (FICE) in 1990, a Fellow of the Royal Academy of Engineering (FREng) in 1992, and a Fellow of the Royal Society (FRS) in 2007. Mair delivered the 46th Rankine Lecture of the British Geotechnical Association in 2006, and was appointed Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) in the 2010 New Year Honours. Mair has been awarded numerous research grants by the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC).
- "'MAIR, Prof. Robert James', Who's Who 2013, A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc, 2013; online edn, Oxford University Press, Dec 2012 ; online edn, Nov 2012".
- "BBC Radio 4 – The Life Scientific, Prof Robert Mair".
- "Professor Robert Mair appointed to the House of Lords". Retrieved 26 November 2015.
- List of publications from Microsoft Academic
- Burland, John B.; Mair, Robert James (2013). "Alan Marshall Muir Wood". Biographical Memoirs of Fellows of the Royal Society. doi:10.1098/rsbm.2013.0011.
- "Mair confirmed as next ICE President". Retrieved 15 January 2017.
- Pitcher, Greg (14 October 2015). "ICE chief becomes a peer". New Civil Engineer online. Retrieved 26 November 2015.
- "Four new con-party-political peers". House of Lords Appointments Commission. Retrieved 13 October 2015.
- "Professor Lord Mair - St Faith's School Website". St Faith's School Website. Retrieved 2016-04-28.
- Mair, Robert (1979). Centrifugal modelling of tunnel construction in soft clay (PhD thesis). University of Cambridge.
- "List of Fellows". Royal Academy of Engineering.
- Biography Robert Mair - website of the Royal Society
- "No. 59282". The London Gazette (Supplement). 31 December 2009. p. 8.
- "Grants awarded to Robert Mair by the EPSRC".
- "No. 61399". The London Gazette. 4 November 2015. p. 21622.
|Master of Jesus College, Cambridge
|Professional and academic associations|
|President of the Institution of Civil Engineers
November 2017 –