Robert Mair, Baron Mair
|The Right Honourable
The Lord Mair
Robert Mair delivering a lecture in Cambridge, February 2013
|Born||20 April 1950|
Tunnel design & construction
|Institutions||University of Cambridge
Institution of Civil Engineers
Geotechnical Consulting Group (GCG)
Scott Wilson Group
The Leys School
|Alma mater||Clare College, Cambridge|
|Thesis||Centrifugal modelling of tunnel construction in soft clay (1979)|
|Doctoral advisor||Andrew N. Schofield|
|Known for||Jubilee Line Extension|
|Notable awards||Fellow of the Royal Society
Commander of the Order of the British Empire
Robert James Mair, Baron Mair, CBE, FRS, FICE, FREng (born 20 April 1950) is a geotechnical engineer and Head of Civil and Environmental Engineering at the University of Cambridge. He is the Sir Kirby Laing Professor of Civil Engineering. He was Master of Jesus College, Cambridge from 2001 to 2011 and a Fellow of St John's College, Cambridge from 1998 to 2001. In 2014 he was elected a vice president of the Institution of Civil Engineers and is proposed to be the Institution's President for 2017-18, its two hundredth anniversary year. On 13 October 2015 his appointment to be a peer in the House of Lords was announced. He sits as a Crossbencher.
Honours and awards
Mair was elected as a Fellow of the Institution of Civil Engineers (FICE) in 1990, a Fellow of the Royal Academy of Engineering (FREng) in 1992, and a Fellow of the Royal Society (FRS) in 2007. Mair delivered the 46th Rankine Lecture of the British Geotechnical Association and was appointed Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) in the 2010 New Year Honours. Mair has been awarded numerous research grants by the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC).
Robert is the son of the late William Austyn Mair, Francis Mond Professor of Aeronautical Engineering at Cambridge 1952–1983.
- "'MAIR, Prof. Robert James', Who's Who 2013, A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc, 2013; online edn, Oxford University Press, Dec 2012 ; online edn, Nov 2012".
- "BBC Radio 4 – The Life Scientific, Prof Robert Mair".
- "Professor Robert Mair appointed to the House of Lords". Retrieved 26 November 2015.
- List of publications from Microsoft Academic Search
- Burland, John B.; Mair, Robert James (2013). "Sir Alan Marshall Muir Wood FREng FICE. 8 August 1921 – 1 February 2009". Biographical Memoirs of Fellows of the Royal Society. doi:10.1098/rsbm.2013.0011.
- Pitcher, Greg (14 October 2015). "ICE chief becomes a peer". New Civil Engineer online. Retrieved 26 November 2015.
- "Four new con-party-political peers". House of Lords Appointments Commission. Retrieved 13 October 2015.
- "Professor Lord Mair - St Faith's School Website". St Faith's School Website. Retrieved 2016-04-28.
- Mair, Robert (1979). Centrifugal modelling of tunnel construction in soft clay (PhD thesis). University of Cambridge.
- "List of Fellows". Royal Academy of Engineering.
- Biography Robert Mair - website of the Royal Society
- The London Gazette: . 31 December 2009.
- "Grants awarded to Robert Mair by the EPSRC".
- The London Gazette: . 4 November 2015. Retrieved 6 November 2015.
|Master of Jesus College, Cambridge