Robert Marchand (cyclist)
Robert Marchand in 2012
|Born||26 November 1911|
|Residence||Mitry-Mory, Seine-et-Marne, France|
|Height||1.50 m (4 ft 11 in)|
Robert Marchand (born 26 November 1911) is a French centenarian cyclist.
Marchand was a firefighter in Paris in the 1930s. He was a prisoner-of-war during World War II. He then moved to Venezuela, where he was a lorry driver and sugarcane planter. In the 1950s he went to Canada, where he had a job as a lumberjack. He returned to France in 1960 and worked as a gardener and wine dealer until 1987.
He took an active part during the strikes of 1936 in France that gave birth to the modern era foundations of French employment legislation.
Aged 35 he finished seventh in the Grand Prix des Nations in 1946. He returned to cycling in 1978 and continued training after his 100th birthday. In February 2012, he set a world record in one-hour track cycling in the over-100 age group at 24.250 kilometres (15.068 mi). He improved this record to 26.927 kilometres (16.732 mi) in January 2014.
On 4 January 2017, he set a world record in one-hour track cycling in the over-105 age group, covering 22.547 kilometres (14.010 mi) in one hour, and the 105 years old centenarian declared: "I could have done better, if I had seen the 10-minute warning card, otherwise I would have pedalled slightly faster".
Marchand puts his remarkable fitness and longevity down to a diet consisting of: lots of fruit and vegetables, a little meat, not too much coffee – and an hour a day on the cycling home-trainer.
After he turned 106 Marchand’s doctors advised him to stop competing for world records. He obliged, but refused to quit racing completely. In early February 2018 Marchand completed a 4,000-meter race in the same stadium where he made his last record.
- Staff (2018-03-26). "Robert Marchand d'un siècle à l'autre à vélo" (in French). Corse-Matin. Retrieved 2018-04-26.
- A 102 ans, Robert a l'énergie d'un homme de 45!. Le Parisien. 25 October 2013
- Chapman, John (2017-01-05). "French cyclist Robert Marchand sets new record at 105 YEARS OLD". Express.co.uk. Retrieved 2017-01-06.
- Robert Marchand sets new 100-kilometer speed record. Agence France Presse. 28 September 2012
- Robert Marchand. cyclingarchives.com
- Daniel McMahon (31 January 2014) When your age hits the triple digits, it's like riding a bike. Time
- 102-year-old French cyclist breaks world record. Associated Press (31 January 2014)
- new mondial record at 105 years old 22.547 kilometers in one hour . Franceinfos. 4 January 2017
- Robert Marchand 105-year-old sets new Hour Record with 22.547km ride . News Of This Today. ' 4 January 2017
- Joseph Delves (2017-05-04). "Robert Marchand, 105, recognised as the world's oldest competitive cyclist". cyclist.co.uk. Retrieved 2017-05-15.
- Rebecca Rosman (2018-02-27). "At 106, champion cyclist Robert Marchand refuses to stop pedaling". USA Today. Retrieved 2018-04-24.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Robert Marchand.|