Robert Marsham, 1st Baron Romney
Robert Marsham, 1st Baron Romney (17 September 1685 – 28 November 1724), known as Sir Robert Marsham, Bt, between 1703 and 1716, was an English politician who sat in the House of Commons from 1708 to 1716 when he was raised to the peerage as Baron Romney.
Marsham was the son of Sir Robert Marsham, 4th Baronet of Bushey Hall, Hertfordshire, and his wife Margaret Bosvile, daughter of Thomas Bosvile of Little Motte, Eynsford, Kent. His father was a former MP for Maidstone. Margaret, granddaughter of Sir Francis Wyatt, was heir to the Wyatt family seat and passed Boxley Manor to her son. Marsham was educated at St John's College, Oxford (matriculated 1701) and succeeded his father as the 4th Baronet in 1703.
He was elected Member of Parliament (MP) for Maidstone in 1708 and held the seat until 1716. He was raised to the peerage as Baron Romney, of Romney in the County of Kent, on 22 June 1716 and was constituted governor of Dover Castle in 1717.
He died in November 1724, aged 39, and was buried in Crayford, Kent. Lord Romney had married Elizabeth Shovell, daughter of Admiral Sir Cloudesley Shovell, in 1708. He was succeeded by their son, Robert. Lady Romney married as her second husband John Carmichael, 3rd Earl of Hyndford, and died in November 1750, aged 58 
- John Burke A General and heraldic dictionary of the peerage and baronetage of the British Empire Volume 2 1832
- John Preston Neale, Thomas Moule, Views of the seats of noblemen and gentlemen, in England, Wales Volume 2
-  Allington & Boxley: a compilation of original sources on Allington Castle and Boxley Abbey. Accessed 2012 April 03.
- "MARSHAM, Sir Robert, 5th Bt. (1685-1724), of the Mote, Maidstone.". History of Parliament Online. Retrieved 26 January 2017.
- "Fellow details". Royal Society. Retrieved 26 January 2016.
- thepeerage.com Robert Marsham, 1st Baron Romney
|Parliament of Great Britain|
Sir Thomas Culpeper, Bt
|Member of Parliament for Maidstone
With: Sir Thomas Culpeper, Bt 1708–1713
Samuel Ongley 1713–1716
Sir Thomas Culpeper, Bt
|Baronetage of England|
1703 – 1724
|Peerage of Great Britain|
|New creation||Baron Romney
|This biography of a baron or baroness in the Peerage of Great Britain (1707–1800) is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Member of the Parliament of Great Britain (1707–1800) representing an English constituency is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|