Jeffery was educated at St Paul's School, London, trained for the priesthood at King's College London and ordained in 1960. His first posts were curacies at St Aidan's, Grangetown and St Mary, Barnes. After this he was the assistant secretary of the Missionary and Ecumenical Council of the Church Assembly then secretary of the Department of Mission and Unity for the British Council of Churches. From 1971 to 1978 he was vicar of St Andrew's Headington then Lichfield diocesan missioner, where he was also Priest-in-Charge of St Bartholomew's, Tong. He was appointed as the Archdeacon of Salop, in 1980 and seven years later became the Dean of Worcester. In 1996 he became Sub-Dean of Christ Church, a post he held until his retirement in 2002. In 1999, he was awarded an Honorary Doctorate of Divinity by the University of Birmingham, and in 2007 he was made an Honorary Fellow of Ripon College, Cuddesdon.
He married Ruth Tinling in 1968 and had four children, Graham (b. 1969), Hilary (b. 1971), Philippa (b. 1973) and Charles (b.1975).
He died on 21 December 2016 at the age of 81. Following a funeral service at Christ Church, Oxford on 16 January 2017, he was buried in the churchyard of St Bartholomew's, Tong, Shropshire on 17 January 2017.
- "obituaries: Robert Martin Colquhoun Jeffery". Church Times (#8025). 6 January 2017. p. 28. ISSN 0009-658X. Retrieved 10 January 2017. (subscription required (. ))
- National Church Institutions Database of Manuscripts and Archives
- Jeffery, Robert Martin Colquhoun. ukwhoswho.com. Who's Who. 2017 (November 2016 online ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. Retrieved 10 January 2017.
- Crockford's Clerical Directory 1975-76 London: Oxford University Press, 1976 ISBN 0-19-200008-X
- The Daily Telegraph Obituaries 'The Very Reverend Robert Jeffrey:Sub-Dean of Christ Church Cathedral who was a stimulating preacher and hard working pastor": p31, issue no 50,296 dated Saturday 4 February 2017
- History of Headington
- Manuscripts (MSS 3121–3385), Lambeth Palace Library, The National Archives, UK.
- Robert JEFFERY
|Church of England titles|
Sidney Denham Austerberry
|Archdeacon of Salop
|Dean of Worcester
|This article about a member of the Christian clergy in the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|