Robert McCall (artist)
Robert T. McCall
|Died||February 26, 2010 (aged 90)|
Scottsdale, Arizona, U.S.
|Known for||Painting, illustrations|
Robert Theodore McCall (December 23, 1919 – February 26, 2010) was an American conceptual artist, known particularly for his works of space art.
McCall was an illustrator for Life magazine in the 1960s, created promotional artwork for Stanley Kubrick's film 2001: A Space Odyssey and Richard Fleischer's production Tora! Tora! Tora! and worked as an artist for NASA, documenting the history of the Space Race. McCall was also production illustrator on Star Trek: The Motion Picture. The character Commander William Riker expressed admiration for the work of "Bob McCall" in one episode of the television series Star Trek: The Next Generation.
McCall's work can be found on U.S. postage stamps, and also NASA mission patches such as for Apollo 17. His murals grace the walls of the National Air and Space Museum, the National Gallery of Art, The Pentagon, Epcot, and Lyndon B. Johnson Space Center. McCall was also commissioned by The Walt Disney Company to do a painting called "The Prologue and The Promise" for the Epcot attraction, Horizons in 1983. Guests could see the mural at the end of the attraction as they exited. 
- Our World in Space, 1974, text by Isaac Asimov, illustrations by Robert McCall
- The Art of Robert McCall: A Celebration of our Future in Space, Oct. 1992, introduction by Ray Bradbury
- Vision of the Future: The Art of Robert McCall, text by Ben Bova, illustrations by Robert McCall.
- Similar artists
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Robert McCall (artist).|
- www.mccallstudios.com — McCall Studios, the art of Robert T. McCall
- collectSPACE — News — "Famed space artist Robert McCall, 90, dies"
- Robert McCall Biography
- AIAA Houston Section May 2011 Horizons newsletter, "Who's Who in the 1979 NASA/JSC McCall Mural"
- 2001: A Space Odyssey
- Robert T. McCall, Space Artist, Dies at 90
- Robert McCall on IMDb
|This article about an American illustrator is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|