Robert Morris University
|President||David Jamison (Acting)|
|196 full-time faculty|
|Location||Moon Township, Pennsylvania|
|Campus||Suburban, 230 acres (931,000 m²)|
|Athletics||16 NCAA Div. I teams
|Colors||Blue, White, and Red
Robert Morris University (RMU) is a private, coeducational university located in Moon, a suburb of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States. The school was founded in 1921. It enrolls more than 4,000 undergraduates and more than 1,000 graduate students and offers more than 60 bachelor's degree programs and more than 20 master's and doctoral programs. Most students are from the Pittsburgh area, while 17 percent of freshmen in 2014 are from outside Pennsylvania.
Robert Morris University is named after Robert Morris, a signer of the Declaration of Independence and financier of the American Revolution. It is not affiliated with Robert Morris University-Illinois.
Robert Morris University originated in 1921 as the Pittsburgh School of Accountancy, founded by Andrew Blass. It was based in various downtown buildings during its early decades, including the William Penn Hotel.
In 1962 the school purchased Pine Hill Manor and Farm in Moon Township, Pennsylvania, formerly the home of Oliver Kaufmann, vice president of Kaufmann's department store in Pittsburgh, his wife, Freda, and their children. Robert Morris University has hosted hospitality to professional Rap artist Wale. The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania then granted the school permission to award associate degrees, and the school became Robert Morris Junior College. The first new buildings, Franklin Center and three residence halls, were erected in 1963. The school became Robert Morris College in 1969, and for decades operated two separate campuses. In 2002, it attained university status. In 2010, the university sold its Downtown Center at 600 Fifth Avenue to Duquesne University.
On Dec. 4, 2014, Gregory G. Dell'Omo announced that he had accepted an offer from Rider University to become its next president in August 2015.  The university at that time announced plans for the formation of a presidential search committee. On Sept. 10, 2015, Robert Morris named Christopher Howard, currently president of Hampden-Sydney College, as its next president. Howard, the first African-American president in school history, will assume office in February of 2016.
The core campus consists of a 230 acre (0.93 km²) tract in Moon Township, Pennsylvania, a suburb of Pittsburgh near Pittsburgh International Airport. Of the 21 instructional and administrative buildings, the newest are the Scaife Center's School of Nursing building, opened in 2015, and the Wheatley Center, opened in 2012. Of 14 residence halls, three are newer apartment-style complexes; the university also has converted a former hotel nearby into Yorktown Hall, now entirely student housing. More than 2,000 students live in campus housing, including 86 percent of freshmen.
The library is on the second and third floors of the Patrick Henry Center. RMU participates in inter-library lending consortia PALINET and PALCI that allow RMU students to borrow books on site from most of the college and university libraries in the Pittsburgh area.
The 84 Lumber Arena is the home of the men's and women's ice hockey teams at the RMU Island Sports Center, a 32 acres (130,000 m2) sports and recreation facility located on Neville Island in the Ohio River 9 miles (14 km) from Downtown Pittsburgh. The center is open to the public year-round and contains two indoor and two outdoor ice rinks, an indoor hockey arena (home to the Steel City Icebergs), and a sports and golf dome, which accommodates an indoor golf driving range and field sports including soccer, lacrosse, softball, and youth baseball. The Center also has an outdoor 18-hole miniature golf course.
The university also has classes at its Downtown campus at 339 Sixth Avenue in Pittsburgh, also the home of the Bayer Center for Nonprofit Management at Robert Morris University.
RMU offers 60 undergraduate and 20 graduate degree programs. The university consists of five academic schools:
- the School of Business offers undergraduate and graduate degree programs, which are AACSB accredited
- the School of Education and Social Sciences (TEAC accredited) offers undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral degree programs.
- the School of Nursing and Health Sciences offers undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral degree programs.
- the School of Communications and Information Systems offers undergraduate (ABET accredited), graduate, and doctoral degree programs
- the School of Engineering, Mathematics, and Science offers undergraduate degree programs, including ABET-accredited engineering programs, and one graduate program.
RMU offers graduate degrees in 20 programs including:
- Doctor of Science in Information Systems and Communications
- Ph.D. in Instructional Management and Leadership
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- Master of Business Administration.
RMU additionally offers undergraduate and graduate degrees and certifications in a fully online format. These degrees include:
- B.S. in Business Administration (B.S.B.A)
- B.S. in Cyber Forensics & Information Security
- B.S.B.A. in Economics
- B.A. in English (Writing)
- B.S. in Health Services Administration
- B.S.B.A. in Hospitality & Tourism
- B.S. in Organizational Leadership
- B.S. in Psychology
- M.S. in Business Education
- M.S. in Competitive Intelligence Systems
- M.S. in Engineering Management
- M.S. in Health Services Administration
- M.S. in Higher Education
- M.S. in Human Resource Management
- M.S. in Instructional Leadership
- M.S. in Internet Information Systems
- M.S. in Internet Security Assurance
- M.S. in Organizational Leadership
- M.S.N. in Nursing
- M.S.N. in Nursing Education
RMU also functions as a provider institution for the Online Consortium of Independent Colleges and Universities (OCICU).
Robert Morris' sports teams, nicknamed "the Colonials", use the school colors of blue and white. The Colonials compete in NCAA Division I (FCS, formerly Division I-AA, in football). Most of the school's sports participate in Northeast Conference. The men's ice hockey team competes in Atlantic Hockey, women's ice hockey team is a member of the College Hockey America, and women's rowing, which competes in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference.
Robert Morris field men's teams in: basketball, cross country, football, golf, volleyball, ice hockey, lacrosse, soccer, tennis and track & field. Women's teams are: basketball, cross country, field hockey, golf, ice hockey, lacrosse, rowing, soccer, softball, tennis, track & field and volleyball.
Presidents of Robert Morris University
The following is a list of the Presidents of Robert Morris University from its opening in 1921 as the Pittsburgh School of Accountancy through present day.
|#||Name||Term begin||Term end||Notes|
|1||Andrew H. Blass||1921||1929||Institution's name was the Pittsburgh School of Accountancy|
|3||Richard Khuen III||1935||1948||Institution's name was changed to Robert Morris School of Business and The Robert Morris School during his tenure|
|4||John R. McCartan Sr.||1948||1966||Institution's name changed from the Robert Morris School to Robert Morris Junior College during his tenure|
|5||Charles L. Sewall||1967||1989||Institution's name was changed to Robert Morris College during his tenure|
|6||Edward A. Nicholson||1989||2005||Institution's name was changed to Robert Morris University during his tenure|
|7||Gregory G. Dell'Omo||2005||2015|
|*||David Jamison||2015||2016||Acting President|
|8||Christopher B. Howard||2016||President-elect (term begins February 1, 2016) |
- Kevin Colbert, general manager of the Pittsburgh Steelers
- William J. Coyne, former Democratic congressman for Pittsburgh
- Hank Fraley, NFL assistant coach and former NFL offensive lineman
- Tim Hall, former NFL running back with the Oakland Raiders
- Brianne McLaughlin, 2010 Winter Olympics and 2014 Winter Olympics women's ice hockey goalie
- Robin R. Sanders, United States Ambassador to Nigeria (2007–2010)
- Musa Shannon, Liberian footballer
- Wale, Professional Rap Artist
- As of June 30, 2014. "U.S. and Canadian Institutions Listed by Fiscal Year 2014 Endowment Market Value and Percentage Change in Endowment Market Value from FY 2013 to FY 2014" (PDF). 2014 NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowments. National Association of College and University Business Officers.
- "RMU undergraduate academic offerings". RMU website. Retrieved 25 August 2014.
- "RMU graduate academic offerings". RMU website.
- "Welcome to the Class of 2018". RMU News website. Retrieved 25 August 2014.
- "Hands of time doom mansion". Beaver County Times 5/24/91 p. A8 on Google. Retrieved 25 August 2014.
- "Robert Morris sells building to Duquesne University". Pittsburgh Business Times October 1 2010. Retrieved 25 August 2014.
- Guza, Megan. "RMU president resigns to become president of NJ university". Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. Retrieved 12 December 2014.
- Schackner, Bill. "RMU president gets new job at Rider University". Retrieved 12 December 2014.
- "Welcome to the Class of 2018". RMU website news. Retrieved 28 August 2014.
- "Locations". Retrieved 2013-08-28.
- "Frequently Asked Questions". Retrieved 2010-01-03.
- "Golf and Sports Dome". Retrieved 2010-01-03.
- "Miniature Golf". Retrieved 2010-01-03.
- School of Business
- "RMU AACSB School of Business". Robert Morris University. Retrieved 2009-04-08.
- School of Education and Social Sciences
- School of Nursing and Health Sciences
- School of Communications and Information Systems
- School of Engineering, Mathematics, and Science
- "What Graduate Programs Are There?". Retrieved 2010-01-03.
- "Online @ RMU". RMU Online website. Retrieved 28 August 2014.
- "Official Site of Robert Morris Athletics". Retrieved 2010-01-03.
- "Past Presidents of Robert Morris". Retrieved 11 September 2015.
- "Robert Morris University Names Dr. Christopher Howard Its Next President". Retrieved 11 September 2015.