Robert Neuwirth is an American journalist, author, and investigative reporter. He wrote Shadow Cities: A Billion Squatters, A New Urban World, a book describing his experiences living in squatter communities in Nairobi, Rio de Janeiro, Istanbul and Mumbai. His articles have appeared in the New York Times, The Washington Post, Forbes, The Nation, and Newsday. His second book, Stealth of Nations: The Global Rise of the Informal Economy, was published in 2011.
Education and career
Neuwirth studied philosophy in college. He began his career as a community organizer.
- homepage for Neuwirth's squattercity, grand hotel abyss, and stealth of nations blogs
- Habitat, presentation from Pop!Tech October 2005
- The 21st Century Medieval City, Seminar at the Long Now, June 2005
- Interview with Robert Neuwirth rediff.com
- Special issue of Mute Magazine on Global Slums including review of Neuwirth's book
- On Our Shadow Cities, a TED talk (2005)
- The Power of the Informal Economy, a TED talk (2012)
- Riggenbach, Jeff (November 28, 2011). "The Education of Robert Neuwirth". Mises Daily (Ludwig von Mises Institute).