Robert P. Reed
Robert Philip Reed
|Auxiliary Bishop of Boston|
Titular Bishop of Sufar
|Church||Roman Catholic Church|
|Appointed||June 3, 2016|
|Installed||August 24, 2016|
|Other posts||Titular Bishop of Sufar|
|Ordination||July 6, 1985|
|Consecration||August 24, 2016|
by Seán Patrick O'Malley, Arthur Kennedy, and Robert Deeley
|Born||June 11, 1959|
|Motto||IESUS SOLA NOBIS SPES|
("Jesus is our only hope")
Robert Philip Reed
|Spoken style||Your Excellency|
Robert Philip Reed (born June 11, 1959) is an American Roman Catholic bishop.
Early life and education
Ordination and ministry
Reed was ordained as a priest on July 6, 1985 at the Cathedral of the Holy Cross in Boston, Massachusetts. His first assignment as a priest was to Immaculate Conception Parish in Malden/Medford, Massachusetts. He has also served as pastor at St. Matthew Parish in Dorchester, Massachusetts and Holy Ghost Parish in Whitman, Massachusetts. He currently serves as pastor of St. Mary Parish in East Walpole and Blessed Sacrament Parish in Walpole, Massachusetts.
In addition to parish assignments, Reed undertook a career in broadcasting for the Archdiocese of Boston. Since the 1980s, he has presented a weekly radio program that airs on Sunday mornings, "The Catholic Hour." Reed earned a degree in Television Management from Boston University, and joined the Boston Catholic Television Center (later CatholicTV), where he held the titles of Director of Educational Development, Assistant Director, and Director. Currently, he is the President of the CatholicTV Network and CEO of iCatholic Media, Inc.
On June 3, 2016, Pope Francis appointed him Auxiliary Bishop of Boston and Titular Bishop of Sufar in Mauretania Caesariensis. He was consecrated on August 24, 2016 at the Cathedral of the Holy Cross in Boston by Cardinal Seán Patrick O'Malley, Archbishop of Boston. Currently, he serves as a Vicar General and Regional Bishop of the West Region of the Archdiocese of Boston and as pastor of Good Shepherd Parish in Wayland, Massachusetts. In addition, he is a member of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops Committee on Communications and the Subcommittee on Certification for Ecclesial Ministry and Service.
Since becoming President of the CatholicTV Network in 2005, Reed has expanded the Network and rebranded it as The CatholicTV Network, America's Catholic Television Network. He has also expanded the staff and created shows and series for the Network.
- Inter Nos
- House + Home
- This is the Day
- Viaggio a Roma
- WOW: The CatholicTV Challenge
- Renewed: Ten Ways to Rediscover the Saints, Embrace Your Gifts and Revive Your Catholic Faith (2014): ISBN 978-1594714702
Reed is a Knight Commander of the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem and a Patriotic (Fourth) Degree member of the Knights of Columbus.
- Leah Dearborn (August 24, 2016). "Swampscott native ordained bishop (sic)". itemlive.com. Retrieved August 26, 2016.
- "Bishop-elect Reed biography". The Pilot. June 3, 2016. Retrieved August 26, 2016.
- "Bishop Robert Reed". CatholicTV. 2013-09-29. Retrieved 2017-03-28.
- "Bishop Robert Philip Reed". Catholic-Hierarchy.org. David M. Cheney. Retrieved 26 August 2016.
- Rocco Palmo (June 3, 2016). "Bishop Sheen, Meet Bishop Reed – Pope Taps CatholicTV Titan, Tribunal Chief as Boston Auxes". Whispers in the Loggia. Retrieved August 26, 2016.
- "Archdiocese of Boston West Region". www.bostoncatholic.org. Retrieved 2017-03-28.
- "Staff". Good Shepherd Parish. Retrieved 2017-03-28.
|Catholic Church titles|
| Auxiliary Bishop of Boston