|Chairman of the Federal Trade Commission|
April 11, 1995 – May 31, 2001
George W. Bush
|Preceded by||Janet Dempsey Steiger|
|Succeeded by||Timothy Muris|
|Commissioner of the Federal Trade Commission|
June 29, 1978 – April 30, 1981
|Preceded by||Calvin J. Collier|
|Succeeded by||George W. Douglas|
December 27, 1929|
Paterson, New Jersey
October 6, 2018 (aged 88)|
Chevy Chase, Maryland
Robert Pitofsky, (December 27, 1929 – October 6, 2018) was an American lawyer and politician who was the chairman of the Federal Trade Commission of the United States from April 11, 1995, to May 31, 2001. He had previously been Dean of the Georgetown University Law Center from 1983 to 1989, and was Dean Emeritus at the time of his passing.
Pitofsky was educated at New York University and the Columbia University School of Law. Before becoming chairman of the FTC on April 12, 1995, he previously held positions with the FTC as a Commissioner (1978–1981) and as Director of the Bureau of Consumer Protection (1970–1973).
Pitofsky was married and has three children and seven grandchildren. He died at the age of 88 on October 6, 2018.
- Cases and Materials on Trade Regulation (Foundation Press 5th ed. 2003) (with others).
- "Antitrust at the Turn of the Twenty-first Century: the Matter of Remedies," 91 Geo. L.J. 169 (2002).
- "Antitrust and Intellectual Property: Unresolved Issues at the Heart of the New Economy," 34 Intell. Prop. L. Rev. 643 (2002), reprinting 16 Berkeley Tech L.J. 535 (2001).
- "The Essential Facilities Doctrine Under United States Antitrust Law," 70 Antitrust L.J. 443 (2002) (with others).
- "Challenges of the New Economy: Issues at the Intersection of Antitrust and Intellectual Property". Antitrust Law Journal. 68: 913. 2001.
- "Beyond Nader: Consumer Protection and the Regulation of Advertising," 90 Harv. L. Rev. 661 (1977).
- "From Dean Emeritus Robert Pitofsky to Joseph Simons (L'83), Georgetown Law Celebrates Tradition with Federal Trade Commission Hearings | Georgetown Law". www.law.georgetown.edu. Retrieved 2018-10-09.
- "Robert Pitofsky". Federal Trade Commission. 2013-07-18. Retrieved 2018-10-09.
- "In Memoriam: Dean Emeritus Robert Pitofsky - Georgetown Law". www.law.georgetown.edu.
- Georgetown University profile of Robert Pitofsky
- FTC page listing speeches and testimony by Robert Pitofsky
- Arnold & Porter, LLP, biography of Robert Pitofsky
- Biographies of FTC commissioners as of 1996
- Appearances on C-SPAN
|This biographical article about an American legal academic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|