Robert R. Cupp
|Robert R. Cupp|
|Member of the Ohio House of Representatives
from the 4th district
January 6, 2015
|Preceded by||Matt Huffman|
|Justice of the Ohio Supreme Court|
January 2, 2007 – January 1, 2013
|Preceded by||Alice Robie Resnick|
|Succeeded by||William O'Neill|
|Member of the Ohio Senate
from the 12th district
January 3, 1985 – December 31, 2000
|Preceded by||Steve Maurer|
|Succeeded by||Jim Jordan|
November 9, 1950 |
Bluffton, Ohio, U.S.
|Spouse(s)||Lisbeth "Libby" Cupp|
|Children||two: Matt, Ryan|
|Alma mater||Ohio Northern University|
Robert R. "Bob" Cupp (born November 9, 1950) is a member of the Ohio House of Representatives and a former Justice of the Ohio Supreme Court. He was elected November 7, 2006 to a six-year term and was sworn in on January 2, 2007. His term expired January 1, 2013.
Cupp, a Republican, replaced retiring Democratic Justice Alice Robie Resnick by defeating Democrat Ben Espy in the general election. Between his election and the death of Chief Justice Thomas Moyer in 2010, all the Justices of the Court were Republican.
Before joining the Ohio Supreme Court, Cupp gained appellate judicial experience as a judge on the Ohio Court of Appeals (Third Judicial District) from 2003 to 2006. Cupp was a member of the Ohio Senate for 16 years, 1985–2000, but was forced to retire due to legislative term limits. He was President Pro-Tem of the Senate from 1997 to 2000, the second highest-ranking leadership position in the Senate. During his time in the Senate, he spent ten years serving on the Judiciary Committee.
Cupp and his wife, Libby, have two sons.
2012 Election Endorsements and Ratings
- "Justice Robert R. Cupp (OH)". Project Vote Smart. Retrieved April 17, 2011.
- "For Ohio Supreme Court". Columbus Dispatch. 2012-10-07. Retrieved 2015-12-24.
- "Plain Dealer endorses Ohio Supreme Court incumbents McGee Brown, Cupp and O'Donnell: endorsement editorial". Cleveland Plain Dealer. 2012-10-20. Retrieved 2015-12-24.
- "For Ohio Supreme Court". Toledo Blade. 2012-10-04. Retrieved 2015-12-24.
- "For the Ohio Supreme Court: McGee Brown, Cupp, O'Donnell". Youngstown Vindicator. 2012-10-24. Retrieved 2015-12-24.
- "Candidate ratings for the 2012 Supreme Court of Ohio election". Ohio State Bar Association. Retrieved 2015-12-24.
- "Ohio Women's Bar Association Supreme Court of Ohio Judicial Candidate Ratings: 2012 General Election". Ohio Women's Bar Association. Archived from the original on October 9, 2012.
- "Robert R. Cupp". The Supreme Court of Ohio and the Ohio Judicial System. Retrieved 2013-06-25.