Robert R. Taylor (photographer)
Robert Ross Taylor, RCA, (June 16, 1940 - August 15, 2013), also known as Bob Taylor, was a Canadian wildlife photographer. He was known for his images of polar bears, great grey owls and bison.
Life and work
Taylor began his career working with government agencies, museums and universities, first in Saskatchewan and then in Manitoba. Eventually he went out on his own, working as an independent photographer for the remainder of his career. His photographs were published in numerous magazines including LIFE, Canadian Geographic, and Reader's Digest. He published several books, focusing on his work in nature photography. Taylor was also involved in the production of several films, mostly documentary shorts of nature subjects.
Robert R. Taylor
Taylor travelled widely and was actively involved in arranging and leading trips so that others could experience photographing wildlife. Some credit his photography for encouraging interest in the destination of Churchill, Manitoba to view the annual polar bear migration.
Taylor was an accomplished carver who helped launch the Prairie Canada Carvers Association.
- The Edge of the Arctic: Churchill and the Hudson Bay Lowlands Winnipeg, Manitoba: Windemere House Publishing, 1992 ISBN 978-1550561852
- The Manitoba Landscape-A Visual Symphony Altona, Manitoba: D. W. Friesen Sons, Limited, 1993 ISBN 978-1550560213
- The Great Gray Owl: On Silent Wings Winnipeg, Manitoba: Windemere House Publishing, 1997 ISBN 978-1550565027
- Manitoba: Seasons of Beauty Winnipeg, Manitoba: Windemere House Publishing, 2002. ISBN 978-1550568998
- Bronze Award, Columbus Film Festival for Assiniboine Forest
- Award for Creative Excellence, U.S. Industrial Film Festival, for Prairie Insights
- Order of the Buffalo Hunt, Government of Manitoba
- Royal Canadian Academy of Arts
- Master of Photographic Arts, Professional Photographers of Canada
- Fellowship, Professional Photographers Association of Manitoba
- "Manitoba wildlife photographer Robert Taylor dies". CBC News Manitoba. The Canadian Press. Retrieved 20 August 2013.
- "Photographer captured wildlife in images". Winnipeg Free Press. August 20, 2013. Retrieved 20 August 2013.
- The R.C.A. Exhibition. Winnipeg, Manitoba: Winnipeg Art Gallery. 1980. ISBN 0-88915-081-8.
Robert R. Taylor (personal site) http://www.polarbearphotography.com/