His first book, Winning Through Intimidation, was published in 1973. After the manuscript racked up 23 rejections from publishers, Ringer decided to self-publish the book. It became a #1 bestseller, spending 36 weeks at the top of the The New York Times Best Seller list. In 2002, Ringer revised and updated the book and republished it with a new title: To Be or Not to Be Intimidated?: That is the Question. Ringer says that the change in the title was made to clarify his aim in these books, which is not so much to turn people into intimidators, but rather to give people the tools to keep others from intimidating them.
Ringer also self-published his second book, Looking Out for Number One, in 1977, which, like his first book, became a New York Times #1 bestseller. Ringer's recurring themes of actions based on rational thought, conceding and in fact adhering to the inherent objective human nature of self-interest, and avoiding people who are irrational (which he labelled either neurotics or "weeds") was expounded on, among other things.
Ringer’s first political/ideological work, Restoring the American Dream (1979), reached #3 on The New York Times Bestseller List in 1979, and was revised, updated, and republished in 2010. The premise of the book is that liberty must be given a higher priority than all other objectives and that a laissez-faire free market is the clear solution to America's economic troubles.
In addition to his own bestselling books, Ringer has published a number of other authors’ works, and at one time had a string of four New York Times bestsellers in a row. Included among these was Crisis Investing, which was #1 on The York Times bestseller list for 15 consecutive weeks.
Ringer has appeared on The Tonight Show, Today, The Dennis Miller Show, Good Morning America, ABC Nightline, and The Charlie Rose Show, as well as Fox News and Fox Business. He has also been the subject of feature articles in such major publications as Time, People, The Wall Street Journal, Fortune, Barron’s, and The New York Times.
- Winning Through Intimidation. 1973. ISBN 0-449-20786-2.
- Looking Out for Number One. 1978. ISBN 0-449-21010-3.
- Restoring the American Dream. 1979. ISBN 0-449-24314-1.
- How You Can Find Happiness During the Collapse of Western Civilization. 1983. ISBN 0-06-859606-5.
- Million Dollar Habits. 1990. ISBN 0-449-21878-3.
- Getting What You Want: The 7 Principles of Rational Living. 2000. ISBN 0-399-14686-5.
- To Be or Not to Be Intimidated?: That is the Question. 2002. ISBN 1-59077-035-8.
- Action!: Nothing Happens Until Something Moves. 2004. ISBN 1-59077-058-7.
|This article about a United States writer of non-fiction is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|