Robert Ross (singer)
||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2014)|
Ross was nominated six times for a New York Music Award before winning for Best Blues Artist in 1989. He has also won several grants for integrating music into education programs. Ross' original song, "Sittin' in the Jailhouse", was recorded in 1980 by Johnny Winter and appeared on Winter's album, Raisin' Cain and Winter's compilation, A Rock 'n' Roll Collection.
As co-leader of the Dicey Ross Band with harmonica player Bill Dicey, Ross recorded with Big Joe Turner in 1976 for Spivey Records, a Brooklyn record label owned by Victoria Spivey and Lenny Kunstadt. Ross has also worked with John Lee Hooker, Lightnin' Hopkins, Brownie McGhee, Memphis Slim, Sunnyland Slim, Otis Rush, Dr. John, Bobby Lewis, Pinetop Perkins, Cyril Neville, Big Mama Thornton, Louisiana Red, J.B. Hutto, Eddie Kirkland, Floyd Jones, and Homesick James. The Robert Ross Band tours frequently and has released two albums in Europe on Brambus Records.
Ross' diverse repertory includes boogie woogie, soul, blues, rock and roll and jazz.
His discography includes:
- "What Are We Fighting For?" on Fountainbleu Records (2004)
- "Sleight of Hand" on Fountainbleu Records (2002)
- "Lightness....To Dark" (USA title: "It's Alive") on Brambus Records (1999)
- Darkness....to Light'" on Brambus Records (1996)
- "Rockin' The Rails" on Blue Planet Records (1992)
- "It's Rough 'n' Tough" on RCA / Victoria Records (1984)
- Introducing Robert Ross (EP) on Baron Records (1981)
- "I'm Gonna Sit Right Down And Write Myself A Letter" with Big Joe Turner on Spivey Records (1978)
- What Is The Blues (LP-1022) with Eunice Davis on Spivey Records (1977)
- New York Really Has The Blues (LP-1018) with Victoria Spivey, Dicey Ross Band, Washboard Doc, Sugar Blue, Brooklyn Slim (Paul Oscher) on Spivey Records (1976)
- "Introducing Robert Ross - Robert Ross | Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved 2014-07-17.
- Ruhlmann, William. "Raisin' Cain - Johnny Winter : Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved 2012-06-23.
- "The Robert Ross Band plays original blues, jazz, and rock 'n' roll music featuring songwriter Robert Ross on vocals, guitar, and harmonica". Robertrossband.com. 1999-02-22. Retrieved 2014-07-17.
- "Introducing Robert Ross - Robert Ross | Releases". AllMusic. Retrieved 2014-07-17.